juzgado de primera instancia

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by andreavergara, Aug 29, 2006.

1. andreavergara Member

spanish from Valencia
    Hola! alguien sabe cual es el equivalente en Inglaterra al Juzgado de primera instancia en espanya?
  2. Smac

Smac Senior Member

UK English
    It may be Magistrates' Court but I am not sure. You could look here or here to see if its functions are similar. :)
  3. Le chat Ju Senior Member

France / Belgique / Espagne
    France français
    ¿Puede ser "Court of First Instance"?
  4. Chami

Chami Senior Member

Uruguay (Spanish)
    Asumo que los Juzgados de Primera Instancia son más o menos lo mismo en todas partes. La traducción literal sería "Court of First Instance", como señala Le chat Ju.

En Inglaterra, por lo que entiendo, la primera instancia siempre depende del monto del asunto y de la materia:

"Crown´s Courts" o "Magistrate´s Courts": Estos serían los juzgados competentes de primera instancia en cuestiones de derecho penal.

"District Judges": Ante éstos se tramitan en primera instancia los asuntos de las demás materias, cuando son de muy bajo monto.

"County Courts": Ante éstos se tramitan los asuntos de las demás materias, cuando involucran montos un poco más importantes.

"High Court": Ante ésta se tramitan los asuntos de mayor monto. Dentro de la High Court existen diferentes secciones: "Family Division", "Chancery Division" y "Queen´s Bench Division". La High Court se encuentra en la "Royal Court of Justice", donde tambien está la "House of Lords" y la "Supreme Court of Justice".

La segunda instancia se tramita ante las "Courts of Appeal".
  5. JanetF Senior Member

Alicante, Spain
    England - English (British English)
    Just a few clarifications. All criminal cases in the jurisdiction of England and Wales start in the Magistrates' Court and 97% of them are dealt with definitively there and go no further. The remainder are committed for trial at the Crown (no apostrophe s) Court.

District Judges, who sit in the County Court, only deal with civil matters.

The High Court is based at the Royal Courts of Justice in The Strand in London, but can sit anywhere in the country at any District Registry. When I was studying to be a barrister, I used to marshall for a High Court Judge, which involved accompanying him in court and on his travels, assisting with preparatory work for appeal decisions (he also sat as a Judge in the Court of Appeal), sitting next to him on the bench in court, undertaking ad hoc legal research for him and staying in the Judges' Lodgings (very posh, complete with butler, cook and maid!) whenever he was 'on circuit' - i.e. sitting outside London at courts other than the RCJ. He was on circuit for two months at a time, several times a year. During this time, the court in which he was sitting was the High Court, despite not being at the Royal Courts of Justice in London.

The House of Lords is not at the RCJ, but in (no surprises here!) the House of Lords at the Houses of Parliament. It is the court of final appeal.

So back to the problem of 'juzgado de primera instancia'. In British English, when we say Court of First Instance (capitalised) it is automatically taken to mean the European Court of First Instance - in Spanish, el Tribunal de Primera Instancia de las Comunidades Europeas (TPICE).

If you want to refer to a court of first instance, rather than to the Court of First Instance, you need to say 'a court of' and not capitalise it, in order to make it clear that you are not referring to the CFI. Then you are using it correctly - as a generic term.
  6. elfo Senior Member

England, English
    I see this is an old thread, but would rather not open a new one for the exact same term.
    I think Janet's info is really useful, but I would like to know which one is best for Juzgado de Primera Instancia

• a court of first instance
    • a Magistrates' Court or
    • a trial court ?

The context is getting possession returned to the owner having previously rented out the apartment: "...un Procedimiento Judicial Ordinario deberá instarse ante el Juzgado de Primera Instancia del lugar en el que se encuentre el piso arrendado."

Many thanks to all!
  7. David Senior Member

Oigan, mucha sabiduría y tal vez demasiado. It depends on the court referred to in the document. Where is the apartment? Where is the owner? What court has jurisdiction over this lease? Is it a court of first instance or is The Court of First Instance so known formally? Only you can know that.

"juzgado de primera instancia" is "court of first instance," la corte en la cual se inicia un proceso, generalmente sujeta a la apelación a cortes superiores. En algunas jurisdicciones es el nombre formal de un tribunal; en otras una mera referencia al tribunal de marras. En Nueva York, por ejemplo, the court of first instance is the Supreme Court. In California, the court of first instance is the District Court. For minor criminal offenses, in Panama, the court of first instance is the Corregiduría. Pero formular listas de todos los tribunales de primera instancia que uno conozca en un sinfin de jurisdicciones no me parece de mucha utilidad..
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  8. elfo Senior Member

England, English
    se trata de un "Juzgado de Primera Instancia" en España, no sé más!
  9. Dr Z Senior Member

Spanish, Spain
    Un juzgado de primera instancia, paar los que podais ayudar, es exclusivamente un juzgado de lo civil. La primera instancia penal en españa corresponde a los juzgados de instrucción. ( De hecho en la mayoria de los partidos los juzgados son de primera instancia e instrucción)