1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

kalkıp da + infinitive

Discussion in 'Türkçe (Turkish)' started by rupertbrooke, Feb 17, 2013.

1. rupertbrooke Senior Member

English UK
    Is this a phrase in idiomatic Turkish? In the translation of Harry Potter & the Philosopher's Stone this sentence biri kalkıp da bunu anlayacak diye ödleri kopardı is translated as 'their greatest fear was that someone would discover it' viz. that the Dursleys were relatives of the Potters.

2. SARI7

SARI7 Junior Member

GREAT BRITAIN
    Turkish
    It is not an idiomatic sentence. "DA" simply means "and then". Cheers.

3. rupertbrooke Senior Member

English UK
    What I should have explained more clearly is that the idiom kalkmak + anlamak is translated as 'discover'. Does it not mean 'to get up/undertake' & then 'understand'? Is this a Turkish idiom for 'to discover'?

4. SARI7

SARI7 Junior Member

GREAT BRITAIN
    Turkish
    It is an idiom for "to realize".
    "biri kalkıp da bunu anlayacak" wants to say 'someone will realize'.
    I'm saying this from my own thinking but when you get up your
    peripheral will be enhanced, thus you can see things that would not have been possible when sitting.

5. EtudianteEternelle

EtudianteEternelle Junior Member

Ottawa, Canada
    Turkish
    I disagree with SARI7 on the use of "kalkıp." Kalkmak (used in its invariable "kalkıp" form) on its own has no connection to the real verb of the sentence, in this case it is "anlamak." Kalkmak here shows effort. I will try to explain with examples:

Kim şimdi kalkıp da Italyanca öğrenecek? = Who (among us) has the will to learn Italian? (implying "none of us")
    Misafir geliyor diye kalkıp evi temizledim = For guests are coming, I got up (made an effort) and cleaned the house.
    Kalkıp da senin dedikodunu mu yapacağım? = Would I (have the time or the desire to) gossip about you?

"Kalkıp + anlamak" seems to me as an effort to figure it out, in other words "to discover" makes sense.

By the way, most common use of "kalkıp" is in "kalkıp gitti" (he upped and left)

6. Reverence Senior Member

Turkish
    In Turkish, the verb "kalk" is often used to imply casual action. Especially when the speaker doesn't give much credit to the alleged possibility. It's pretty much like saying "he up and left" in English, as mentioned above, or "You'd think he would be clever enough to watch his step, but he went and found the one single patch of mud to pass through."

So, yeah, it's more like "would go and find it out", but since it looks rather redundant, the part "go and" seems to have been dropped in favor of the general tone of work.