1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Kammerphotograph

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by fdb, Nov 29, 2012.

1. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    A good friend of mine has shown me an imposing photograph of his great grandmother, her brother, and their mother (his great-great grandmother), which he tells me was taken in the Bohemian city of Liberec (Reichenberg ) in 1915. It bears the inscription “K.u.K. Hof- u. Erzh. Kammerphotograph Carl G. Springer”. I am surprised, first of all, that a photographer so far from the capital could claim to enjoy the patronage of the King-Emperor. But my question is: what is a Kammerphotograph?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  2. Frank78

Frank78 Senior Member

Saxony-Anhalt
    German
    I think it was a private photographer of the royal family. The one who is allowed to enter the "chambers". Similar to Kammerdiener, Kammerkutscher, etc.

3. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    Yes, you are right, but there is some nuance that I fail to understand. Herr Springer was (it seems) both “K.u.K. Hofphotograph”, and “Erzh. Kammerphotograph”. So maybe the emperor has a “court” while the archduke has a “chamber”?

4. Demiurg

Demiurg Senior Member

Germany
    German
    Here's more information:

5. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    Danke! Sehr interessant. Springer war also „Hofphotograph“ für den kaiserlichen Hof und privater „Kammerphotograph“ im Dienste eines bestimmten Erzherzogs.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012