1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Kauppias myy tuotteitaan

Discussion in 'Suomi (Finnish)' started by macforever, Sep 28, 2013.

1. macforever Senior Member

Italian
    I'd like to say: The shopkeeper sells his items.
    Kauppias myy tuotteitaan.
    How does it sound?

2. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    It sounds good, but it means "The shopkeeper/vendor is selling his products" -- i.e., he is selling them right now.

If you want to make a general statement, such as "The shopkeeper sells his products five days a week", I think you would have to say, Kauppias myy tuotteensa (viisi päivää viikossa).

3. DrWatson

DrWatson Senior Member

Finland (North)
    Finnish
    Kauppias myy tuotteitaan has both meanings: a general statement and that he's selling them at the moment. An example, where Gavril's suggestion is used, could be Kauppias myy tuotteensa tunnissa ("The vendor sells his products in an hour", ie. all the products are sold out after an hour).

4. macforever Senior Member

Italian
    Dr Watson, are you saying my sentence was OK?

5. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    Whoops -- I thought that the possessive ("his products") implied that the noun phrase was definite, and therefore should be translated tuotteensa. But I forgot that English is ambiguous in this situation: depending on the context, "He sells his products" can mean either "He sells some of his products" (tuotteitaan) or "He sells all of his products" (tuotteensa).

Since "He sells some of his products" is probably the more common interpretation, Kauppias myy tuotteitaan (as Macforever originally wrote) is a better translation. Sorry for the misinformation.

6. macforever Senior Member

Italian
    It's OK, Gavril. Thank you.