1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

keep in shape - stay in shape

Discussion in 'English Only' started by roxane, Mar 5, 2007.

1. roxane Junior Member

Switzerland
    Switzerland / French
    I know there are other topics about these expressions, but they did not answer my questions:

Do "to keep in shape" and "to stay in shape" mean exactly the same thing? Or are those two phrases slightly different? If yes, how? Which one do you use the most (in BE)?

2. mrbilal87

mrbilal87 Senior Member

English (NAmE)
    I can't speak for which is more frequently used in BrE, but in CaE both phrases are used and they mean the same thing, though I would prefer "stay in shape".

Let's see what a speaker of BrE has to say about these phrases.

Cheers!

3. roxane Junior Member

Switzerland
    Switzerland / French
    Thank you :)

4. jesusguime Senior Member

Chinese
    Hi,
    Is "get in shape" about the same as the two in question in meaning? Following is an instance:

Al is consuming less food and exercising daily so that he can get in shape before the summer.

Thanks for your help in advance.

5. strabo Junior Member

English
    get in shape = lose weight/get a better figure (this assumes you are not "in shape" now)

keep/stay in shape = not gain weight/retain good figure (this assumes you are "in shape" now)

"stay in shape" is BrE as well, but "keep in shape" is also common, by analogy to "keep fit", which was the buzz word in the 70s for exercise.

6. canduman Junior Member

Kocaeli, Turkey
    Turkish
    I have had a similar dilemma with keep in touch vs stay in touch. Keep in touch sounds awkward to my non-native ears, though. I would opt for "stay" in this case as well.