keep in touch or stay in touch

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by sonia.perez, Nov 15, 2007.

1. sonia.perez Junior Member

Is there any difference between "keep in touch" and "stay in touch" or both have the same meaning?

Thanks to all
    Please correct my English.
  2. Hallick Junior Member

United States - English

Strictly speaking, no - there really isn't a difference between them. It's possible that "stay in touch" is a little more insistant and sincere than saying "keep in touch", which is kind of a casual and reflexive remark (like saying "see you later" when you have no idea when or if you'll ever see that person again). If somebody told me "stay in touch" I'd feel a lot more obliged to do so since it would seem like they actually cared. A lot of it has to do with the intonation of the phrase at any rate.

Just my opinion.
  3. sonia.perez Junior Member

Thanks, very helpful.
  4. gotitadeleche Senior Member

Texas, U.S.A.
    U.S.A. English
    To me they are equal. I feel no difference in obligation to stay/keep in touch between the two phrases.
  5. bluesapphire

bluesapphire Senior Member

Filipino and English
    Estoy de acuerdo con Hallick.
    "Keep in touch" has become a cliche so it's like you mean it more if you say "stay in touch."

6. gotitadeleche Senior Member

Texas, U.S.A.
    U.S.A. English
    I just asked two of my coworkers and we all feel that both terms are equally cliches. At least around here, there is no diffence in meaning or sincerity.
  7. tinygirl505 Junior Member

US (puerto rico) english
    They're meanings are really about as close as you can get,
    and they are both common (cliche) expressions, as people
    have remarked. returns 380,000,000 results for 'keep in touch'
    but only 220,000,000 for 'stay in touch.' So, if the internet
    is any indication of usage, then the basic difference between
    the two expressions is that people are a bit more likely to say
    'keep in touch'