1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

keg tapper

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by perpend, Aug 20, 2013.

1. perpend Senior Member

American English
    This is from an Oktoberfest advert in the USA, and I am trying to remember how this would be said in German.

Kann man mit "Anzapfer" arbeiten, oder muss man das umschreiben: der/die, der/die anzapft

???

Es geht halt um die Person, die das Fass anzapft.

2. dubitans Senior Member

Vienna, Austria
    German - Austria
    Man kann Anzapfer sagen.

3. Hutschi

Hutschi Senior Member

Dresden, Universum
    German, Germany
    In an ad (Stellenanzeige) I found "Zapfer", but it may depend on context.
    Is there a difference?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  4. perpend Senior Member

American English
  5. manfy Senior Member

Singapore
    German - Austria
    There is actually a distinct difference between "zapfen" and "anzapfen" when you're entering the realm of Advanced Beer Sciences! ;)

"zapfen" describes the pouring of beer from tapped barrel or any modern bar tap.
    "anzapfen" is the process of tapping the barrel itself and -- at least in the olden days when wooden barrels were still used -- there was some skill involved and not just anybody was honored with that privileg!
    If done wrongly you can easily spill half the barrel before the tap is seated properly or you can spoil the taste of the beer by an improperly seated tap.

That's why "anzapfen" is a ceremonial thing at the Oktoberfest and this process is completed with the famous words "O'zapft is!"
    Wiesn Dictionary

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  6. perpend Senior Member

American English
    Thanks, manfy. I do mean the "ceremonial thing", so I'm comfortable now with "Anzapfer".

Oans, zwoa, drei ... :p