1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

kept at the engine out level

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by entrapta, Jan 18, 2013.

1. entrapta

entrapta Senior Member

Bologna
    Italian
    kept at the engine out level

Salve a tutti; non riesco a capire il significato di questo ( si tratta di sistemi per abbattere gli inquinanti, antiparticolato etc): This system reduces 99.8% of the number of particulates, 90% of the CO and HC, and NO2 is kept at the engine out level. My guess (first part is pretty simple): Questo sistema riduce del 99.8% il numero di particolati, del 90% CO and HC, e NO2 è mantenuto al livello??? che livello? :confused:

2. TimLA

TimLA Senior Member

Los Angeles
    English - US
    Is kept at the same level of NO2 as when the gas leaves the engine. (there is no change).

I'd need to see another sentence to be sure.

3. longplay Senior Member

italian
    Da UrbanD. pare che sia col motore "al minimo", se ho ben compreso.:confused:

4. Phil9 Senior Member

London
    UK English
    Agree with Tim. Longplay, if it meant 'al minimo' wouldn't it say 'kept at engine idle speed level'??

I have to confess that I don't really understand the original sentence. :confused:

5. Mary49

Mary49 Senior Member

Padova
    Italian
    "Engine-out" significa "all'uscita del motore"

6. Phil9 Senior Member

London
    UK English
    Non e' questa una traduzione, non una spiegazione/definizione?

7. longplay Senior Member

italian
    Non so: "in 'folle' " ?:confused::)

8. Mary49

Mary49 Senior Member

Padova
    Italian
    Non capisco... Mi sembra che sia la stessa cosa che ha detto TimLA post #2

9. longplay Senior Member

italian
    Credo che Mary abbia ragione! Si tratta di "fuoriuscita", "emissione" del (dal) motore.;)

www.eere.energy.gov/.../deer08_shade.pdf (funzionerà?). Ma "at the...level"? Non capisco. "Al livello di fuoriuscita"? Ha senso?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  10. TimLA

TimLA Senior Member

Los Angeles
    English - US
    In questo contesto "level" indica "posizione" "punto".

11. entrapta

entrapta Senior Member

Bologna
    Italian
    I think you nailed it Tim... there's not much else I can add... the "chapter" about this system ends with that sentence. Only..I would have imagined that it might also reduce the NO2 hence my doubt. "The solution is simple but effective. Droplets of Diesel fuel are injected between the filter and an additional special decomposition catalyst.
    The filter monitor controls the injection rate depending on the exhaust gas temperature and the engine speed" and then it explains the effects...