"kiss my ass"

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Hitch57, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Hitch57 Banned

I often have heared this expression. What does it mean? It sounds like an rather angry expression, so I assume it's telling some person to back off or something like that?
  2. Dimcl Senior Member

British Columbia, Canada
    Canadian English
    You've got it! :D
  3. I don't think you need translation :D

It's just a rude way of saying I don't like you ;)

Seriously, it's a rude expression which you can use when someone drives you really mad.
  4. . 1 Banned

Ferntree Gully
    Australian Australia
    It is an insult that is no different to 'lick my feet' in that it is inviting the insulted to perform a demeaning act but with the added frission of a naughty word.

5. duckie

duckie Senior Member

If you don't know what it litterally means, 'ass' here is slang for rear end (aka butt, hiney, behind). You probably don't want to kiss someone's ass unless you are particularly fond of them, in which case the expression may backfire :)
  6. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    As an added benefit of participation in these forums, WR extends to all residents of "I." a little free editing.
  7. foxfirebrand

foxfirebrand Senior Member

The Northern Rockies
    Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    It's unnecessary to be rude if you want to use this expression-- polite versions of it are available.

"How about you kiss my ass?"

"Yeah? Why don't you just kiss my ass?"

"You wanna kiss my ass?"

That last one falls under the "might backfire" clause, I'll admit-- but you can avoid that by using just the right tone.
  8. . 1 Banned

Ferntree Gully
    Australian Australia
    It is hard for me to imaging the phrase to be less than rude unless...

If the ass in question backfires at the moment that the backfired kiss is planted there may be some odium fired back:p .

9. Nunty

Nunty Modified

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    You're kidding, right Ffb?
  10. Dimcl Senior Member

British Columbia, Canada
    Canadian English
    "I would be more than pleased if you would plant a peck on my posterior"??
  11. chesty Senior Member

"kiss my ass!" :warn:

Doesn't this simply mean (emphatically) "NO!" ?
  12. mplsray Senior Member

That would be the case most of the time, I expect, but it wouldn't cover such usages as "If they think I'm going to do that job for that crummy pay, they can just :warn: kiss my ass!" and "They booed me off the stage, but as I was leaving I turned to the crowd and said, :warn: 'Kiss my ass!'"
  13. erottudart Member

I resume the thread for a very simple sum up: could "kiss my ass" be considered simply as an equivalent, or an alternative, to "fuck off"?
  14. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    As extremely rude negative responses to a request, yes.