1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

kitty-corner / cater-corner

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by vittel, Feb 24, 2007.

1. vittel

vittel Senior Member

french, France
    I just learned this new word:
    kitty-corner(ed), cater-corner(ed), catty-corner(ed) (to/across sth) = diagonally (across from) = en diagonale (de qqch).

And I would like to know how it's used. Is it very common, is it colloquial, is there a spelling preferred over another?

My oxford dictionary only knows "cater-*" and "catty-*", but not "kitty-*", whereas on Googlefight it seems to be the one that is the most used. So I'm a bit confused.

2. mgarizona

mgarizona Senior Member

Phoenix, AZ
    US - American English
    Yes, in AE I only ever hear 'kitty-cornered' which I suppose grew out of the mistaken notion that 'cater' had something to do with cats, instead of with the number four and the figure of a square, admittedly rather etymologically obscured.

Is it then simply an AE/BE difference?

3. Mikie8421 Senior Member

Auburn, NH, USA
    United States English
    I also only say and usually hear "kitty-cornered" in the northeastern US, but I was told that in the Southeastern US they say catty-corndered.

4. Indeed, you hear both kitty-corner(ed) and catty-corner(ed) in the southeast. I do not know cater-cornered, but have heard another variant that is "katy-corner(ed).

It's colloquial, I'd say, but is a legitimate way to express the idea of two things in opposite corners of a block-shaped space.

5. vittel

vittel Senior Member

french, France
    Nice, thanx to you all for your inputs! :)
    I think I'll use kitty-cornered then, because it's apparently the most used.

6. The MightyQ Senior Member

Ottawa
    English, Canada
    As an example of usage, I would say for example
    "The grocery store is kitty corner from the bank".
    I use it to tell someone how to find something in relation to a place they already know. So in this example I assume they know where the bank is, but not maybe the grocery store, which is diagonally opposite at the intersection.
    I have heard "kitty corner to..." as well.

7. RuK Senior Member

Outside Paris
    English/lives France
    Kitty-corner is totally American. It will get no understanding whatsoever on the street in the UK. "I live kitty-corner to the grocery store" - pure US.

8. mgarizona

mgarizona Senior Member

Phoenix, AZ
    US - American English
    Actually, myself, I never use 'kitty-corner' externally, in the sense "diagonally across the street from."

But my bed is set 'kitty-corner' to the south and east walls of my room. (That is, athwart the corner of those two walls.)

9. fleury Senior Member

St. Louis, MO, USA
    English (US)
    I sometimes learn American English, my native language, from this forum. Both my wife (born in Oklahoma) and I (born in Louisiana) have always used only cater-corner, we do find that the current American Merriam-Webster dictionary lists cater-corner as the variant and kitty-corner as the standard. A revelation to me!

10. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo

A vote for "catty corner" here. I've heard kitty but mostly hear catty (Mid-Atlantic area of E. US) Does that mean I am being catty?!

Indeed, it's primarily used to describe relationality, particularly about the placement of houses or buildings. It's useful in the US since most cities here are built on a grid pattern, making diagonality a frequent dimension to describe...

11. vittel

vittel Senior Member

french, France
    Thank you again people, it helps a lot! Alright, so we have:
    Kitty-corner: 4
    Catty-Corner: 2
    Cater-corner: 1

That's funny... because kitty-corner doesn't mean anything etymologically speaking. In this case, the distortion of the original expression (cater-corner) has become the standard.
    I found this on the word detective, about the origin of the expression: http://www.word-detective.com/back-c.html (scroll down to the 3rd definition).

12. multae gentes Senior Member

French (France)
    This post is a question for club and tournament chess players only : in king and pawn endgames, we use the concept of 'diagonal opposition'. Is it ever referred to in clubs as "cater-cornered opposition" or "catty-cornered opposition" ? I never met this phrase, but most books in English language I use are British, so I have really no clue.

13. mignardise Senior Member

US & Canada, English
    A US midwesterner, I've always used "kitty corner" and have always heard it used, never having heard of any of the other variants... Those were all new to me!

14. Mme Machin Senior Member

Midwest USA
    USA English
    So in French, you have to say, "L'épicerie est en diagonale de la banque" for "The grocery store is kitty corner from the bank"?

15. Victorian63 New Member

English - Canadian
    I'm Canadian (west coast) and have always heard kitty corner. I just had a conversation with an Englishman (immigrant) who did understand the directions I was giving him and thought "kitty corner" was the name of a street. Totally forgot the English do not know this expression. I've never heard a Canadian say "catty corner" or the original French (though this may be in use in Quebec?).

16. moonpeeler Junior Member

France, French
    Moi je dirais plutôt : "L'épicerie est à l'opposé de la banque", ou "L'épicerie est de l'autre côté du carrefour, par rapport à la banque".
    "Diagonale" is used for mathematics, seldom in everyday talking.