knacker

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by kusurija, Jun 22, 2009.

1. kusurija

kusurija Senior Member

Lithuania, K. city
    Lithuania Czech
    Hi, all!
    I'm curious, how do You say this word in as many languages as possible. It's a person, in the trade of rendering animals that are unfit for human consumption, such as horses that can no longer work, dead domestic (or some other) animals.

In Czech:
    1. Pohodný (I'm curious in ethymology of this word: it sounds similar to pohodlný (convenient, comfort), but this by my opinion hasn't any relation; what about =kdo dělá pochůzky (who patrols), but then it would be pochodný; or pohodit (sbírá mršiny, které někdo pohodil) (rends cadavers, which someone tossed down); any more opinions?
    or
    2. Ras (Ethymology?)

3. Antoušek (+- slang term, maybe because they used go by car, called "Anton" ?)

In German:
    Abdecker

In Lithuanian:
    I didn't find the word, only firm "Nuaras" A.S. Maybe Lithuanians knows the term?

2. Saluton Senior Member

Moscow, Russia
    Russian
    No such word in Russian. Perhaps no such occupation either.

3. Volcano Senior Member

Istanbul
    Turkey-Turkish
    In Turkish

There is a definition, no short name.We call it kind of butcher.

4. sokol

sokol Senior Member

Vienna, Austria; raised in Upper Austria
    Austrian (as opposed to Australian)
    Your German suggestion is correct, I'd only like to add some synonyms - there are several words for this in German:

- Schinder (becoming outdated in standard language but still used in some dialects, e. g. Austrian dialects - and others too: the literary figure of "SchinderHannes" is proof of that)

- Wasenmeister (obsolete already but you may find it in literature)

Further synonyms in Wiki - "Fallmeister, Kleeken, Mausgewitz, Kaviller, Kafiller, Racker oder Kleemeister" - they're all new to me, only discovered them now.

However, even "Abdecker" is already slightly outdated and the word probably will become obsolete - simply because the profession of "Abdecker" has been replaced by "Tierkörperverwertung" = rendering plant. When the profession dies out, the word dies out. :)

Now that's hard to believe. :D
    What is done with animals that died and which people do not eat*) - do they bury them themselves? Surely there are soap-makers in Russia who cook soap out of those "waste" animal bones.
    EU laws require that those animals must not be disposed by butchers or farmers themselves but that they'll be brought to a "Tierkörperverwertung"-plant, and before those laws existed similar national laws required that a "knacker, Abdecker, ..." took care of them.

Might be that you do not know a name for the profession because it has become obsolete (as will happen in EU over time, with those industrial plants taking care of them), but surely there must have been a Russian term?

*) For any reasons: because they were sick with an infectuous disease, or because they were given medicaments which are a danger to humans (so that even though they were butchered they aren't eaten); or simply because they're carrion - and we don't eat that.
    Also, even from healthy animals there are body parts which aren't eaten, or of which only small quantities could be sold - like bowels: those, in EU, also must be brought to the "Tierkörperverwertung" (or in previous times, the "knacker - Abdecker").

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  5. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    In Hungarian we just use the copied German words.
    1. sintér (Schinder)
    2. gyepmester (Wasenmeister)

I wonder what Wasen really means, because as a child that Hungarian word made me understand it is a man who is gathering litter on the lawn. Maybe Wasen is the same as Rasen? :confused:

6. sokol

sokol Senior Member

Vienna, Austria; raised in Upper Austria
    Austrian (as opposed to Australian)
    Yes indeed, "Wasen" originally meant the same as "Rasen" - and is still used in this meaning in some dialects (Austrian ones, and probably others).

7. kusurija

kusurija Senior Member

Lithuania, K. city
    Lithuania Czech
    Thanks all very, very much for Your anwers. It seems that Czech Ras becomes from German Rasen/Wasen.

8. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    new answers?

9. 涼宮

涼宮 Senior Member

Sbaeneg/Castellano (Venezuela)
    I didn't know that word in English or in Japanese. I looked for the Japanese equivalent and the word is rather long:

廃馬解体業者 Haibakaitaigyousha. Lit: merchant dismantling obsolete horse.

There doesn't seem to be an equivalent in Spanish, the dictionary says 'butcher', but it's not the same.

10. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    I wasn't familiar at all the use of this word in American English, but had heard the British slang word "knackered" used before to mean "exhausted."

In Norwegian, a person who takes care of the removal and burial of carcasses of dead animals, is called en nattmann (a night man).

11. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    In hebrew we actually say that the animal is ready for slaughter (implying that it is old and unfit, unproductive) - theres no use to it, so we will simply slaughter it.

החיה מוכנה לשחיטה
    hakhaya muchana leshkhita
    the animal is ready for slaughter.