1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Knock'em dead!

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Itala, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Itala New Member

english
    I would like to reply to someone who is promoting their new book. An expression of encouragement and congratulations. 'Go for it!' or "Onward mighty soldier!' Something like that.

2. Blackman

Blackman Senior Member

Island of Sardinia, Italy
    Italiano/Sardo
    Well, try to be a little more precise in English. We have millions of expressions for that....:)

3. Cattivo Senior Member

Arizona
    AE
    Forza soldatissimo!

4. Itala New Member

english
    Hmmm. How about 'Knock'em dead!'? The event is a book signing to launch his new children's picture book, which exists in both Italian and English. It is The Three Little Pigs and incorporates his illustrations of modern architecture. Im looking for an Italian expression that congratulates and cheers him on.

5. elena73

elena73 Senior Member

Tuscany
    ITALIAN
    Itala, how well do you know this person? This changes a lot the expression we would choose...

6. Blackman

Blackman Senior Member

Italiano/Sardo
    This would be Fateli neri, ragazzi!!.

7. Itala New Member

english
    What does 'Fateli neri' literally mean?
    And I know this person pretty well.

8. Blackman

Blackman Senior Member

Italiano/Sardo
    Knock'em black, little less than 'Knock'em dead'

9. elena73

elena73 Senior Member

Tuscany
    ITALIAN
    Or Fai vedere a tutti chi sei!!

But I wonder whether these expressions would be more used by us in a stadium, where there is an 'opponent' (avversario), rather then on this kind of occasions...

Go for it= Vai così

EDIT: Fai vedere a tutti chi sei!! (=show them all who you are/what you're made of...) expression is in 2° person SINGULAR here

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  10. Itala New Member

english
    Bene. These are very helpful. Im leaning toward using 'vai cosi'. Grazie mille!

11. elena73

elena73 Senior Member

Tuscany
    ITALIAN
    Mind the accent on the i (vai così, it's tiny but it's there, on the last i of così)
    Puoi dire anche:
    Il libro mi piace molto, complimenti, continua così!!! (I like the book very much, congratulations, go on like this(=other expression for go for it!!!)
    OR
    Il libro mi piace molto, complimenti, vai così!!!

I prefer number 1.

12. Itala New Member

english
    Ok. First I need to find Italian language spelling on my Mac. Help here?
    And thanks for the additional expressions.

13. MStraf

MStraf Senior Member

From almost any text editor you can right click (if you enabled rigth click, otherwise click the mouse holding the Control key down) and select Spelling->Spelling... From the combo box at the bottom of the Spelling dialog box select the language you want (Italian, in this case) and you are all set.
    Good luck!