1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

know-לדעת, להכיר ...and similar words

Discussion in 'עברית (Hebrew)' started by bat777, Feb 10, 2013.

1. bat777 Senior Member

Talmon, Israel
    Israel, Hebrew
    Hello everyone,
    I'm looking for English and Hebrew words that might be perceived differently by the native speakers of each language.
    I'll explain with an example:
    The example I could think of was "know" in English, which in Hebrew is translated either into להכיר or לדעת. So for Native English speakers, להכיר and לדעת are basically the same (it is not rare to hear a native English speaker saying in Hebrew: אני יודע אותו, meaning, of course, אני מכיר אותו). But for native Hebrew speakers, להכיר and לדעת have different semantic meaning (though similar in a way).
    I would appreciate other examples of this kind.

Thank you!

2. Tararam Senior Member

Hebrew
    Consider = לשקול או להחשיב

3. tFighterPilot Senior Member

Israel - Hebrew
    Something else I can think of is the dative case that exists in Hebrew while in English it's the same as the accusative case. So, for example in English there would be "I gave her a present" and "I love her" while in Hebrew it will be "נתתי לה מתנה" and "אני אוהב אותה".

4. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    This is not an English-Hebrew problem. This is a case of English using the same word (to know) for two different, though related, concepts. Those concepts are expressed by different words in many (most?) languages, not just Hebrew. For example, there are the French connaître (להכיר) and savoir (לדעת); the Spanish conocer and saber (same).

It also works the other way round. For example, the Hebrew אצבע can mean either finger or toe. If you want to specify one or the other in Hebrew, you have to state the body part (hand or foot) to which the אצבע belongs. The word עור can mean either skin or leather. There is no end of examples in both directions.