1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Kości dziewczyny grób zamkna'ł poświęcony

Discussion in 'Polski (Polish)' started by Lovelybeauty, May 22, 2014.

1. Lovelybeauty

Lovelybeauty Senior Member

Vietnam
    Vietnamese
    Dear all,

Could anyone please give me a literal translation of these 2 sentences from Chopin's Dwojaki Koniec? It's a song telling the death of a soldier and his girl.
    "Kości dziewczyny grób zamkna'ł poświęcony,
    Kości kozaka bieleją na wsze strony."

I tried to search on the Net and found a translation:

"The girl’s bones were consigned to a consecrated grave;The Cossack’s bones are whitening, scattered to the four winds."

It does not seem to be very close to the Polish text. I am sorry I do not have any knowledge of the Polish language.

Many thanks.

2. Haley9 New Member

Polish - Warsaw
    Well, it depends how exact you want the translation to be. To preserve English word order it would be like this: "A consecrated grave sealed the girl's bones. The Cossack's bones are whitening..." well, the last 3 words are difficult for literal translation, it's something like "in all ways", "in many places", "scattered".
    If you want the word-for-word translation:
    kości - bones
    dziewczyny - girl (Genitive)
    grób - grave
    zamknął - close, seal, lock (3 person, singular, masculine, past tense)
    poświęcony - consecrated (masculine)
    kozaka - Cossack (Genitive)
    bieleją - become white or (in literary language, as it is meant here probably) to be visible as white, usually against the dark background (3 person plural, present tense)
    na - a preposition which can be used in various contexts, typically means "on"
    wsze - an archaic form of "all" (plural, nonpersonal)
    strony - sides, ways, parts (in this context - but it could mean also pages of a book).

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  3. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    The meaning of the Polish text has been rendered very well by the translation.