....koto da

Discussion in '日本語 (Japanese)' started by ihitokage, Jul 16, 2013.

1. ihitokage

ihitokage Senior Member

Czech
    Hi,
    sorry I am asking again ^^' but I am a bit confused with this sentence ending.
    Whay do some sentences end with "koto da"? Or sometimes "n da (yo)"? (If I understand that correctly, n da is the same as no da and no is similar to koto in this case not?)

Example: 彼女の成功はあり得ることだ。
    Why not only: 彼女の成功はありえる。

Sorry if it's stupid question :D

BTW: One more thing. I don't wanna create a new topic because of that but is it truth that you cannot use deshou and darou with watashi? If yes you use kamoshirenai instead?
    Thanks

2. frequency

frequency Senior Member

Tokyo, Japan
    Japanese
    むずかしいなあ・・
    Yes the two mean the same thing. 彼女の成功はありえる。is just SVC.

I feel like あり得ることだ is one set, a common expression. The possible thing is that she will succeed? No, I can't say yes lol.
    Then this one emphasises the mention? No, I'm not sure. Sorry I'm not sure wholly..you can choice either, and they are just a matter of how we express it. Then which is stronger and better? Both are fine.

I add a link, but I couldn't find one that can explain your case. See the second entry and (2)形式名詞.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  3. ihitokage

ihitokage Senior Member

Czech
    Thanks at least for this. I heard it many times but I guess that it is similar to ですけど. Just making the sentence longer :D.

4. Tonky Senior Member

Japanese
    English too has 2 ways to say this.
    "It is possible that she succeeds."
    "She can/could succeed."

I did not understand your last question. (And you are supposed to create another thread for another question, I'm afraid.)

5. 涼宮

涼宮 Senior Member

Sbaeneg/Castellano (Venezuela)
    As Tonky-san said it is more about possibilities. ことだ after the infinitive at the end can be used to make suggestions, to say it's necessary/good, for example:

大学に入りたければ一生懸命勉強することだ。 If you want to go to university you should study hard.
    海外に住む間は両親に時々連絡することだ。 Sometime you should get in contact with your parents while you're living overseas.

About your last question, you should open another thread but, yes you can use だろう and でしょう with 1rst person to either mean ''possibility'' or ''doubt''.

6. ihitokage

ihitokage Senior Member

Czech
    Many thanks, both of you ^^

7. frequency

frequency Senior Member

Tokyo, Japan
    Japanese
    Oh they are both 'She's likely to succeed.', 'Her success is likely.'

I have to add information.
    See, for example, 温度の上昇はあり得る。This is good for academic prose. But 彼女の成功はあり得ることだ。is more colloquial and usual.

8. ihitokage

ihitokage Senior Member

Czech
    So it has no meaning. Just making the sentence more casual?

9. Vaan Junior Member

Japanisch
    Actually, no.
    You see, the structures of the sentences are different.
    The skeletons of the sentences are
    成功はことだ。 A is B.
    成功はありえる(or ありうる) A + Verb.
    In the first one, the focus of the speech is still on the word 成功, whereas the second states purely that the success is possible. I mean, the flow of the context is slightly different in these two.
    Which style to choose depends on what the writer wants to express or stress and how he wants to continue.

So 'Koto da' hasn't been just *appended* to make the sentence longer or casual.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  10. frequency

frequency Senior Member

Tokyo, Japan
    Japanese
    If do I say it casual? U~~m, not so casual very much. That's the way it is. Usual and..one of the styles to express it. Naturalness, correctness aside, this sounds like: There's something likely (to happen)―her success.

You said that using ことだ makes the sentence longer and I know you joked lol..remember, the sentence just ended up getting longer.

11. ihitokage

ihitokage Senior Member

Czech
    Ok :D thanks

12. ihitokage

ihitokage Senior Member

Czech
  13. frequency

frequency Senior Member

Tokyo, Japan
    Japanese
    むずかしいなあ・・
    You've already got an answer; they are almost the same. And I don't think that they have the 'gratitude levels' much.
    Right now I see them like,
    ありがたいです is 'Thank you', 'How helpful', just describing how it is; it's ありがたい.
    ありがたいことです is suggesting that sth happens, and speaker says 'That is helpful.'

Just a moment..give me a time.

14. ihitokage

ihitokage Senior Member

Czech
    Thanks, I am sorry. I think I need to pay more attention to this to get the right feeling about that.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  15. frequency

frequency Senior Member

Tokyo, Japan
    Japanese
    That's okay. Add 'thankful', too.

16. slt25 New Member

Finnish
    Hi, I just found this forum while searching for help with translation. I don't know much Japanese. Could anyone help me to translate this? It's from a video game: 悪魔の力を利用することだこのプログラムあればできるだろう。 I read through this thread but I still couldn't quite understand the 'koto da' part. Something like "If you use this program you can harness the power of demons" would make sense in the context but even if that was the translation I couldn't say what 'koto da' meant.

17. Vaan Junior Member

Japanisch
    That is two separate sentences.
    (それは or そのためには)悪魔の力を利用することだ。
    このプログラムあればできるだろう。

18. slt25 New Member

Finnish
    Hey thanks! Now it makes more sense to me.