1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Kurdish: برطويل Bartawil

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by Janulka, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Janulka Senior Member

Czech
    Hello,
    do you know what this word برطويل means?

Since google doesn't give me any proper results, I suppose it must be a dialect. The story it comes from is Syrian/Kurdish.
    From the context I would guess it's a kind of stone.

Any idea?

Thank you

2. لنـا

لنـا Senior Member

فلسطين
    Palestinian Arabic, Hebrew
    Hello,

Can you give a context?

3. Janulka Senior Member

Czech
    يجبر القادم إلى الأمارة على الدخول إليها من بابها الذي يشكل البَرطويل أحد جاتبيه

I can't give you more context. It appears several times in the text, but always in sentences such as... "he stopped close to the bartaweel", so nothing relating really to this word.

4. لنـا

لنـا Senior Member

فلسطين
    Palestinian Arabic, Hebrew
    Well, I've never heard about this word! Isn't it aالبر الطويل ?

وكان الفاتحون قد بلغوا نهر السين وبوردو وجنوب إيطاليا (أطلقوا عليه البر الطويل

A name of a river ?!

5. Janulka Senior Member

Czech
    I don't think so, it always appears in the same form, such as another example:

حفر حفرة صغيرة في الزاوية الجنوبية الغربية للبرطويل

6. shibshib New Member

English - Moon
    An Arabic version of Baldwin, which is also the name of a lake in Egypt? Would that make sense?

7. Janulka Senior Member

Czech
    Not really, the story takes place in a village called Dari on the Syrian-Turkish border, on the Turkish side actually.

8. Janulka Senior Member

Czech
    Hi everybody,
    I have consulted the auther of the text and found out, that this word is really kurdish, and it means "giant" :-D

9. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    Really? It doesn't make sense in يشكل البرطويل أحد جانبيه or الزاوية الجنوبية للبرطويل :confused:

10. Janulka Senior Member

Czech
    Yeah, I was also confused and he explained that it can actually mean anything that is huge, so in this case it's a huge stone or a block of rock, well, at least that's what the auther wanted to say:)

11. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    Interesting.

And now that the author enlightened us that this word is Kurdish, I think it's better to move this thread to the Indo-Iranian forum. Thank you for keeping us informed, Janulka, and updating us with what you learned. :thumbsup: :)