1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Kyllä täällä on uitu,saunottu, soudeltu ja otettu aurinkoa

Discussion in 'Suomi (Finnish)' started by SmotritelTerve, Mar 5, 2014.

1. SmotritelTerve New Member

Russia - Russian
    I'm translating "Kuulostaa Hyvältä - Sounds Good 38" and have trouble with the following sentence:

Kyllä täällä on uitu,saunottu, soudeltu ja otettu aurinkoa...

I belive they use passiivin perfekti in the sentence, but not sure about translation. Or should I look for different grammar structure?

2. akana Senior Member

English - USA
    Yes, it's the passive perfect. Roughly translated:

"Yes, people here have been swimming, going to sauna, rowboating and laying in the sun..."

Contrast with the other passive forms:
    Kyllä täällä uidaan, saunotaan, soudellaan ja otetaan aurinkoa...
    Kyllä täällä uitiin, saunottiin, soudeltiin ja otettiin aurinkoa...

3. Hakro

Hakro Senior Member

Helsinki, Finland
    Finnish - Finland
    This is a spoken language structure that actually means "Here we sure have swum, bathed, rowed and tanned..."

Or, like Akana said, "Here people have..."

In fact, it's not a real passive form.

4. akana Senior Member

English - USA
    Does the structure in the original post differ substantially from the following structure?

Me ollaan tavattu jo pari vuotta sitten.

This is the structure I am familiar with in the spoken language.

5. SmotritelTerve New Member

Russia - Russian
    So, it is puhekieli...

I should learn more about it.

Thank you!

6. Määränpää

Määränpää Senior Member

Finnish
    On uitu is in fact the standard language passive perfect form: "it has been swum." Maybe Hakro meant to write that on uitu doesn't really have a passive meaning in the example sentence? (In my opinion the grammatical meaning is passive, too. The fact that it's possible to guess who did the swimming is a matter of communication, but it should of course be taken into account in the translation like Hakro and Akana did.)

Ollaan uitu is a spoken language passive perfect form that is not accepted in standard language (so-called double passive, kaksoispassiivi). In spoken language, it's used both in the passive (especially in the negative pluperfect) and in the first person plural ((me) ollaan uitu).

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014