Kyllä täällä on uitu,saunottu, soudeltu ja otettu aurinkoa

Discussion in 'Suomi (Finnish)' started by SmotritelTerve, Mar 5, 2014.

1. SmotritelTerve New Member

Russia - Russian
    I'm translating "Kuulostaa Hyvältä - Sounds Good 38" and have trouble with the following sentence:

Kyllä täällä on uitu,saunottu, soudeltu ja otettu aurinkoa...

I belive they use passiivin perfekti in the sentence, but not sure about translation. Or should I look for different grammar structure?

2. akana Senior Member

English - USA
    Yes, it's the passive perfect. Roughly translated:

"Yes, people here have been swimming, going to sauna, rowboating and laying in the sun..."

Contrast with the other passive forms:
    Kyllä täällä uidaan, saunotaan, soudellaan ja otetaan aurinkoa...
    Kyllä täällä uitiin, saunottiin, soudeltiin ja otettiin aurinkoa...

3. Hakro

Hakro Senior Member

Helsinki, Finland
    Finnish - Finland
    This is a spoken language structure that actually means "Here we sure have swum, bathed, rowed and tanned..."

Or, like Akana said, "Here people have..."

In fact, it's not a real passive form.

4. akana Senior Member

English - USA
    Does the structure in the original post differ substantially from the following structure?

Me ollaan tavattu jo pari vuotta sitten.

This is the structure I am familiar with in the spoken language.

5. SmotritelTerve New Member

Russia - Russian
    So, it is puhekieli...

I should learn more about it.

Thank you!

6. Määränpää

Määränpää Senior Member

Finnish
    On uitu is in fact the standard language passive perfect form: "it has been swum." Maybe Hakro meant to write that on uitu doesn't really have a passive meaning in the example sentence? (In my opinion the grammatical meaning is passive, too. The fact that it's possible to guess who did the swimming is a matter of communication, but it should of course be taken into account in the translation like Hakro and Akana did.)

Ollaan uitu is a spoken language passive perfect form that is not accepted in standard language (so-called double passive, kaksoispassiivi). In spoken language, it's used both in the passive (especially in the negative pluperfect) and in the first person plural ((me) ollaan uitu).

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014