"Lá pros quarenta"

Discussion in 'Português (Portuguese)' started by Jobim, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Jobim

Jobim New Member

English - American
    Hello,

I am an American with a budding interest in Brazilian music, but a Portuguese vocabulary consisting of roughly five words. Between the use of Google Translate and my basic knowledge of Spanish (coupled with common sense and English cognates), I can generally figure out the gist of most song lyrics. However, this is more problematic when it comes to slang or idiomatic expressions. Djavan's "Maria das Mercedes" has me stumped on the repeated lines "lá pros quarenta." Below is the full text (taken from a free and public song lyrics database), with my approximated translations on the side. Any input about the confusing lines would be great, and well as any corrections to my butchered English version! Thank you in advance.

Eu tenho uma namorada viva no interior (I have a girlfriend living in the interior)
    Maria das Mercedes, linda como um beija-flor (Maria das Mercedes, beautiful as a hummingbird)
    Ontem eu recebi carta dela cheirando a fulô (Yesterday I received a letter smelling of flowers)
    "Meu nego, estou intacta, pura, volte, por favor" ("My nego, I am intact and pure; come back, please)
    Lá pros quarenta
    Lá pros quarenta eu vou
    Lá pros quarenta
    Lá pros quarenta eu vou
    Eu quis escrever pro velho endereço (I wanted to write ??? to the old address)
    Sobretudo que eu conheço da cidade grande (Above all, I know of the big city)
    Como fui infame, esqueci o seu sobrenome (How I was shameful, I forgot your last name)
    Se é Pereira, Moreira, Ferreira (Whether it is Pereira, Moreira, Ferreira)
    Só sei que acaba com "eira" (I only know it ends in "eira")
    Como aquela bananeira (Like that bananeira)

2. anaczz

anaczz Senior Member

À beira do Oceano Atlântico
    Português (Brasil)
    Eu tenho uma namorada viva no interior (I have an alive girlfriend living in the countryside

Lá pros quarenta. When I'm above 40
    Eu quis escrever pro velho endereço (I wanted to send a letter to the old address)
    Sobretudo que eu conheço da cidade grande (Above all, I know of the big city)
    Como fui infame, esqueci o seu sobrenome (How I was shameful, I forgot her last name)

3. Jobim

Jobim New Member

English - American
    Thank you, anaczz!