1. RicardoElAbogado Senior Member

SF Bay Area, California
    American English
    In another thread, an English-speaking poster said:
    Gracias para su ayuda!!! la agradezco mucho!

I have a question about the use of "la" here. My guess is that it was a reference to "ayuda". Is it grammatically correct to refer to the word ayuda by usiing "la"? Or should "lo" be used here because help is not tangible? Like "it" in English.

Gracias de antemano.

2. Rasmus1504 Senior Member

Dinamarca
    Danés
    As far as I know, you still use "la" when referring to a feminine noun even though it's not tangible.

3. Quique Alfaro

Quique Alfaro Senior Member

Santa Fe, Argentina
    castellano
    Hola:
    ¡Gracias para su ayuda! (se) La agradezco mucho. (la = ayuda) :tick:
    ¡Gracias para su ayuda! (se) Lo agradezco mucho. (lo= eso, the fact of you having helped me) :tick:

4. jmx

jmx Senior Member

Barcelona
    Spain / incorrect Spanish
    I wouldn't say "Gracias para su ayuda" but "Gracias por su ayuda".

5. RicardoElAbogado Senior Member

SF Bay Area, California
    American English
    Thanks for the responses. And, yes, por.

Using "se" to indicate the indirect object (the person to whom you are grateful) is optional, and you could also say "le agradezco" or "te agradezco" without the direct object, verdad?

6. justcurious21 New Member

English
    Why por and not para???

7. micafe

micafe Senior Member

United States
    Spanish - Colombia
    Yes, it's 'verdad'..:)

The first time I read your sentence I thought you were using 'laísmo', but of course not. Even though it's grammatically correct to say "la agradezco" when referring to "ayuda", the way you said it sounded a little peculiar to me.

I'd say "gracias por su ayuda, se lo agradezco mucho" or "Le agradezco mucho su ayuda"

One of the uses of "por" is to express gratitude, therefore, we never ever say "gracias para su ayuda".;)

8. Aviador

Aviador Senior Member

Santiago de Chile (a veces)
    Castellano de Chile
    The sentence Gracias para tu ayuda might be translated as Thanks to your help. The sentence Gracias por tu ayuda might be translated as Thanks for your help. What would your choice be?

The usual meanings (among others) of por and para are:

• Por = a causa de = for.
    • Para = hacia = to.

9. Cenzontle

Cenzontle Senior Member

English, U.S.
    On the por/para question, there's no need to create an additional category of "gratitude" to explain "Gracias por..."
    if you can think of giving thanks in exchange for something.

10. micafe

micafe Senior Member

United States
    Spanish - Colombia
    I apologize if you don't like it. It's one of the ways to explain it. "por" is always use with "gracias". It's as simple as that. No need to create an additional category with "exchange for".

11. justcurious21 New Member

English
    Thanks, gracias!

12. Cenzontle

Cenzontle Senior Member

English, U.S.
    I agree, micafe, that memorizing "gracias por" as a unit is better than stopping to reason about rules every time you want to thank someone.
    I only mentioned the category "in exchange for" because it "explains" the use of por in many other situations as well.