La Barcelona que mira al mar

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by eli_aili, Apr 24, 2012.

1. eli_aili New Member

Barcelona
    Catalan (Catalonia) and Spanish (Spain)
    Hello,

I have some troubles translating this paragraph, above all some expression in bold.

Original:

"El edificio se encuentra sobre una calle arbolada y ancha del antiguo barrio de la Barceloneta, creado en 1753, que desde los Juegos Olímpicos de Barcelona es el núcleo de la nueva Barcelona que mira al mar".

My first translation:

This building is situated in a narrow and wooded street in the old neighbourhood of La Barceloneta. This district was created in 1753 and since the Barcelona Olympic Games, it has became the centre of a new looking-through-the-sea Barcelona.

I will be so greatfull to receive any kind of suggestion!
    Thankyou!L

2. bellatrix27 Senior Member

Toronto
    Russian(USSR)/English(CAN) - bilingual
    This building is situated in a narrow, wooded street in the old neighbourhood of La Barceloneta. This waterfront district was created in 1753 and since the Barcelona Olympic Games, it has become the center of modern day Barcelona.

3. Alisterio

Alisterio Senior Member

Mexico City
    UK English
    Rather than a narrow street, the Spanish text says that it is broad. I guess the last part of the text means that in the "new Barcelona" it is fashionable to have a house that faces the sea. My attempt at a translation would be:

The building is situated on a broad, leafy street in the old neighbourhood of La Barceloneta, built in 1753. Since the Barcelona Olympic Games, the district has become the centre of the new "sea-view" Barcelona.

4. Chris K Senior Member

Tacoma WA, US
    English / US
    ... the heart of a new Barcelona that looks out on the sea.

5. bellatrix27 Senior Member

Toronto
    Russian(USSR)/English(CAN) - bilingual
    Si.. es perfecto

6. eli_aili New Member

Barcelona
    Catalan (Catalonia) and Spanish (Spain)
    Gracias a todos!