1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

La bass لا باس - لا بأس

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by Andrew___, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Andrew___

Andrew___ Senior Member

The Moroccan dialect has this phrase "la bass" which you hear so often here. It means "No problems", "don't worry" etc.

Does this phrase exist in any other dialects (other than the various maghrebi ones).

Thanks,
    Andrew

2. ayed Senior Member

Riyadh
    Arabic
    Yes, in Badawi and sedentary dialects.It is governed by context..

A:"Are you sick, B?"
    B:Surely, I am very sick today"
    A:"la bass", "Tauur:expiation" Allah willing"
    And sometimes it carries the meaning of OK.

3. MarcB Senior Member

US English
    Yes All of the Maghreb and Yemen as well as what Ayed said.

4. Josh_ Senior Member

the phrontistery
    U.S., English
    I can't recall if I ever heard this in Egypt, but I imagine it probably occurs.

Anyway, I just wanted to point out that this comes from the MSA لا بأس la ba2s. I heard it often at Middlebury.

Edit: Just to clarify, when it is said in Morrocan, badawi, and other dialects, the hamza is elided?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  5. Ander Senior Member

France
    Is it a question or an affirmation ?

6. kifaru Senior Member

English
    Can بأس be used as a substitute for "only" as in "only flowers in the garden."?

7. Josh_ Senior Member

the phrontistery
    U.S., English
    It was a question. Sorry for the confusion.

The word بأس ba2s, in this context, means harm.

You are thinking of the colloquial word بسّ bass. It can be used to express the idea of 'only':

فيه ورد في الجنينة بس
    fii ward fig-gineena bass.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  8. Andrew___

Andrew___ Senior Member

Yes it is definitely alided in the Moroccan dialect.

9. MarcB Senior Member

US English
    In the Maghreb.
    Ali: la bas?
    Slimane: la bas

Tunis
    Ali: la basa?
    Slimane: la bas

10. huhmzah

huhmzah Senior Member

Ithaca, NY
    Urdu - English
    I've heard "labaas" used a lot by Tunisians -- the usual answer for chna7walek (شناحوالك) "shnaaHwaalek" (how are you?) is "labaas! l7amdoulillah."
    Also, if you wanna ask "Are you doing ok?" or what would be the equivalent of "Ca va?" they also say "labaasa?"

11. Ander Senior Member

France
    I have noticed that people from the Maghreb tend to change the Classical Arabic "a" into "e".

For example Mohammed instead of Muhammad.

So I wonder if "la bas" in not rather "la bes".

12. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo

In spoken Moroccan, la bass (bass rhymes with English chess) is the major way to give a greeting -- La bass? La bass 3lik? Kolshi la bass?

More literally, bass can be used as in Ma kain bass (it's no problem; no harm done; don't worry about it).

More emphatically, Shi bass ma kain.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  13. djara

djara Senior Member

Sousse, Tunisia
    Tunisia Arabic
    I never heard it pronounced with a final "a" as under Ali above. And I never pronounce it that way myself.
    The closest pronouciation in Tunisian would be "la baas" the "aa" sound as in English "bat", not "bar"
    Some people, especially among the younger generation, tend to pronouce it as "la bees" as in English "base"

14. Wadi Hanifa

Wadi Hanifa Senior Member

Riyadh
    Arabic
    Yes it is elided.

There's also a similar expression in Arabia, said to someone who is ill or not feeling well:
    ما ترى باس

15. Fragrant Rose

Fragrant Rose Junior Member

No it is not used in Egpt. However, I am egyptian and I use it as a part of classical Arabic ( because I like it). Unfortunately, many people in Egypt may not understand what it means!

16. aljmet New Member

english
    Salaam,

I found this phrase in an opinion article about Sudan. Its a Jordanian newspaper but I don't know where the author is from. Here is the quote:

الخلاصة ، أن الولايات المتحدة تريد تفتيت السودان ، ومن هذا المنطلق فإن لسان حالها يقترح التصويت بـ"نعم" أو "لا بأس" لصالح الانفصال

I found several translations including "nevermind"

In this case, can la ba2s mean simply "no"? or does it have a special meaning in this case that I don't understand, possibly because it is a pun or obscure usage?

Shukran lakum

the entire article can be found here: http://www.addustour.com/ViewTopic....\OpinionAndNotes_issue1100_day16_id273794.htm

17. AndyRoo Senior Member

London
    English
    Hi,

Here it means "no objection", I believe.

18. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    Yes. Or "it's ok".