1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

La Ditta si impegna e si obbliga

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by vittorina, Sep 8, 2008.

1. vittorina Senior Member

Italy
    Italy - Italian
    I'm trying to translate from Italian into English a confidentiality clause I have to insert in a contract:

The Italian sentence is:
    "La Ditta .....si impegna e si obbliga a non diffondere notizie ed informazioni riguardanti le merci vendute, e/o le politiche e/o le strategie aziendali di cui dovessero venire a conoscenza che sono da intendersi di natura riservata escluso tutto ciò che risulterà attinente all'adempimento del Contratto;

My translation is:
    "The firm ........ undertakes and agrees not to disclose news and information concerning the goods sold, and/or politics, and/or company policies of which they should come to know and that are to be considered confidential excepted all that (?) will result relating to the fulfilment of the Contract."

I don't know the correct legal words to use, so my translation doesn't sound well to my year.

Who can help me?

Many thanks.

2. k_georgiadis

k_georgiadis Senior Member

NJ, USA
    English (AE)
    My try!

3. baldpate

baldpate Senior Member

London
    UK, English
    Seriously, I agree with KG's suggestions, but I have just a couple of little doubts:

1. Surely le politiche mean the policies (of the company), rather than the politics ?
    2. In "escluso tutto ciò che risulterà attinente all'adempimento del Contratto", does not "risulterà attinente" means "may prove relevant/pertinent". I would have written "with the exception of matters which may prove pertinent to the fulfilment of the Contract"

4. vittorina Senior Member

Italy
    Italy - Italian
    k. Georgiadis, Baldpate,

thank you very much for your suggestions.

Baldpate, you are right " politiche" mean policies ( plural of policy) and your last sentence sounds better.

5. the Grim Reaper Senior Member

Italian - Italy
    Hi everybody, I'm translating a contract into English and I'm not sure about how to translate this:

Il Fornitore si impegna e obbliga a utilizzare...

I would translate si impegna as agrees to, but in this sentence it doesn't sound right.

What would you think of
    "The Supplier commits and binds himself to use..." Any other suggestions?

Thanks a lot

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  6. TimLA

TimLA Senior Member

Los Angeles
    English - US
    Hi TGR,

I think we might be able to be a bit shorter with:

The Supplier is obliged to use...
    The Supplier is obligated to use...

7. the Grim Reaper Senior Member

Italian - Italy
    Thanks a lot. I know English is always a lot shorter :)

By the way, do you think it is correct to translate "si impegna" with "agrees to"

Thanks a lot

8. Papero Senior Member

Italian
    La traduzione "agrees to" per "si impegna" mi sembra adatta.

Oppure potresti tradurre "shall..." e il verbo: si usa spesso nell'inglese giuridico.

9. the Grim Reaper Senior Member

Italian - Italy
    grazie mille a tutti e due!