1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

La loi informatique et libertés

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by frenchspanish, Nov 12, 2008.

1. frenchspanish Senior Member

Manchester
    English, England
    Qu'est-ce que ça veut dire? C'est dans un document legal. Merci d'avance :)

2. Moon Palace

Moon Palace Senior Member

Lyon
    French
    It is a specific law in France that tries to regulate the use of computer science, more especially the internet. It provides limits to what can and can't be done regarding information on people... (I don't know the whole content of the law).

3. frenchspanish Senior Member

Manchester
    English, England
    Merci Moon Palace! Savez-vous comment le dire en anglais? Pourrais-je dire "data-processing law"?

4. Moon Palace

Lyon
    French
  5. alisonp Senior Member

London
    English - UK
    Well, *that* is totally wrong. The UK equivalent is the Data Protection Act, and I imagine other anglophone countries will have their own versions. Depending on what you're doing with this text, you might want to use one of those titles with "French" before it, or translate it literally (something like "law no. xxxxx of xxxxx relating to data-processing and liberties", I seem to remember), or ...

6. Moon Palace

Lyon
    French
    I know similar laws exist in the UK and in other countries, but English-speaking websites seem to refer to the French laws in this way:

Data-processing law and Freedoms

However, Wiki also mentions the computers and liberty law.
    The CNIL (official body in charge of computers and liberties) calls it 'The Act on Data-processing, Data Files, and Individual Liberties.

All these different ways of referring to it only mean to me that whichever one is used, it will be understood. There is hardly ever one single perfect translation.

7. alisonp Senior Member

London
    English - UK
    I meant that the understanding, and hence the wording, is clearly wrong: a) it should be "liberties" rather than "freedoms" in this context, and b) the law relates to both data-processing and liberties, so should at the very least be the "data-processing and liberties law". What they've put makes no sense, and I would automatically be very wary of an English-speaking site that claimed it to be a valid translation. Wiki's isn't great either, because there's a big difference between liberty in the singular and in the plural. CNIL's sounds fine to me, but the question is really whether you actually translate it, or merely localise it into a form that your readership (assuming there is one) will recognise. I'm not sure that frenchspanish actually needs to know any more than that it's the French law protecting the use of your personal data, anyway :)

Then, of course, there's the question of whether you should convert "loi" into "Act", or whether that is too UK-biased :)

8. frenchspanish Senior Member

Manchester
    English, England
    I do infact need to translate it into english and have opted for

"In accordance with French law on data-processing and liberties (la loi informatique et libertés)of 6 January 1978 ..."

Thankyou both for your advice!

9. alisonp Senior Member

London
    English - UK
    You probably want a "the" before "French", then, otherwise it'll just sound like French legislation in general :)

10. frenchspanish Senior Member

Manchester
    English, England
    Duly noted, thanks alisonp :)

11. shalini_kheterpal Senior Member

India, Delhi
    English,