1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

la profundidad indígena

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Chicadee, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Chicadee Junior Member

Ohio, United States
    English-United States
    Hola todos!

Estoy traduciendo un texto sobre la cultura andina de los indígenas, o sea Kawsay. ¿Me pueden decir si suena bien la siguiente traducción, en particular la frase "la concepción de la profundidad indígena"? Aquí está el pasaje del texto:

"Tukuk kawsay es la vida material que se acaba, pero en la concepción de la profundidad indígena es la vida que llega a su fin, pero después de haber cumplido con el plazo o terminado el permiso que nos ha sido dado para vivir biológicamente..."

Y mi traducción:

"Tukuk kawsay
    is the material life that ends, but in the conception of indigenous depth (???), it is the life which reaches its end, but after having met its deadline or finished with the license that has been given us to live biologically..."

¿Cómo se puede traducir "la concepción de la profundidad indígena" de mejor manera?

Muchas gracias por adelantado!

2. Nipnip Senior Member

Español
    but (in) the profoundness of the indigenous conception.

I am not sure I like the Spanish version, but I think it means the indigenous peoples have a very deep conception of Kawsay .

3. Chicadee Junior Member

Ohio, United States
    English-United States
    Mil gracias, Nipnip!

Sí, me parece que el español no es muy buen escrito.

4. donbeto

donbeto Senior Member

Vancouver (Canada)
    Eng(Canada)
    I would change profoundness to profundity. Profoundness is not a word.

5. Nipnip Senior Member

Español
    Wow, is it not?

6. Chicadee Junior Member

Ohio, United States
    English-United States
    Bueno, creo que sí es una palabra, pero no es tan común. Suena mejor decir "profundity" aunque sí aparece "profoundness" en unos diccionarios. Gracias a los dos!

7. SolAguila

SolAguila Senior Member

India
    Bengali-India
    The profound indigenous/natural/aboriginal conception.

8. scotu Senior Member

Paradise: LaX.Nay.Mex.
    Chicago English
    My dictionary says that profoundness does exist, it is a noun meaning the quality of being profound and it is a synonym of profundity.

9. SolAguila

SolAguila Senior Member

India
    Bengali-India
    Yes profoundness is a noun.

10. Nipnip Senior Member

Español
    Of course it is, and although it may not be common in spoken speech, it is completely legitimate and common in some academic fields. If I suggested the word it was for no other reason than precisely seeking that kind of wordy air that the original sentence had (I did say I didn't quite like it). If we were to go for a more common or simpler construction, that answer was obvious; depth. Like it had been first suggested.

I would have changed in both the Spanish and English versions the use of those nouns and "sustantivar" el adjetivo "profundo".

...por lo profundo de la conpeción ....
    ...seeing how deep the indigenous perpepcion...