1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

La ratita presumida.

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by nuri148, Apr 19, 2007.

1. nuri148

nuri148 Senior Member

Frankfurt, Deutschland
    Argentina, Spanish
    "La ratita presumida" is a very well known fairy tale in Spain and -I daresay- Latin America. Is this story also known in English-speaking countries? If so, with which title?
    Here's a link to the story in Spanish: http://adigital.pntic.mec.es/~aramo/lectura/lecpeq32.htm

Thanks a lot!

2. fenixpollo

fenixpollo Mod Chicken

Arizona
    American English
    I've never heard it.

3. speedier

speedier Senior Member

4. Dillon23 Junior Member

English
    Can anyone think of any characters similiar to La ratita presumida in English?

5. Dillon23 Junior Member

English
    No, you misunderstood the last post. I'm trying to think of a similiar character in English; a children's story that has the same moralistc message/ character with the same traits :)

6. murciana

murciana Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish - Spain
    En inglés es "The conceited little rat", pero es la traducción, no sé si el cuento será popular allí

7. Dillon23 Junior Member

English
    I didn't even think to check if the same character existed in English :-/ I've never heard of it before!

Thanks a lot.

8. Dillon23 Junior Member

English
    I didn't realise that it was a translation of the Spanish. I really need a character that English speaking readers will know straight away. For Spanish people La ratita presumida is a childhood classic, so I need to produce the same effect with the English reader.

Thanks a lot :)

9. murciana

murciana Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish - Spain
    Well, it is not my translation, it is the way I have seen it, but I think it is just for Spanish speakers (who are learning English).

Doing some research I have just found out that it has similarities with the English tale Titty Mouse and Tatty Mouse:
    http://www.authorama.com/english-fairy-tales-18.html

Hope this helps!

10. Dillon23 Junior Member

English
    I really appreciate your help, but I'm afraid it's not what I'm looking for :)

11. murciana

murciana Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish - Spain
    You're welcome!

12. murciana

murciana Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish - Spain
    Dillon, as you may know by now, I am a bit stubborn J
    This is my last try: I also found Pretty Ritty, although I’m afraid it only applies to foreign countries pupils who are learning English, but I’m letting you know just in case.

http://www.eurotales.eril.net/prettypu.htm

Saludos

13. Dillon23 Junior Member

English
    hahaha, stubborness get's too much bad press :) That's a great one that you've found

Thanks

14. Filimer Senior Member

Chile
    Español
    Curiosamente la palabra "ratita" se traduce como "little rat" y "little mouse" (dos animales distintos). Si una niña tiene dientes de ratita es lo mismo que dientes de ratoncita. Por supuesto, un ejemplar pequeño de la especie Rattus norvegicus también es una ratita.

La Ratita Presumida (275.000 veces en Google) es también La Ratoncita Presumida (77.800 veces en Google), y como ya dijo Speedier, en inglés es The Vain Little Mouse (22.800 veces en Google).

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  15. Dillon23 Junior Member

English
    Hi,

What do you think of Little Miss Piggy, as an English example of Ratita persumida?

16. aldonzalorenzo

aldonzalorenzo Senior Member

Español (Madrid)
    I don't know what English people think, but to me Miss Piggy (from The Muppet) and La ratita presumida have nothing in common.

17. Dillon23 Junior Member

English
    Hi

I just thought that they were similiar in the way that they're both vain and egocentric.

Regards

18. Dillon23 Junior Member

English
    I also found a website called La Ratita Persumida, I'm just wondering for you, as a native, does such a term imply a certain type of women; someone who is obsessed with fasion etc ?

Thanks

19. aldonzalorenzo

Español (Madrid)
    Well, I can tell you what I remember about that short story: a (girl) mouse who, while sweeping her house, finds a coin and thinks how to spend that money. She thinks and thinks and in the end she decides to buy a ribbon (lazo) for her neck. Then she looks out of the window and a (boy) mouse falls in love with her. So they marry, I suppose.
    I didn't have an image of a very "presumida" mouse, but of a mouse who cleaned her house, who cared about her house (I think I can remember the sentence "limpio mi casita, laralaralita"), and thanks to that found money and could buy something she liked... But not at all obsessed with fashion. I'm talking about thirty years ago so, "eran otros tiempos".
    The story is really short; I don't even know if the idea I got is right. Let's wait for murciana: she may tell us what she learnt from the story:)

20. Dillon23 Junior Member

English
    Thanks for your reply

21. Adelaida Péndelton

Adelaida Péndelton Senior Member

Madrid
    Spanish - Spain
    I'm not murciana but, in the story I know la ratita refuses the little mouse (cause she thinks he is too workerclass) and marries a wealthy cat who promisses her everything... finally the mouse saves that idiot from being eaten and they marry and live happily ever after.
    I think learnt not to marry cats, but I'm not sure.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  22. aldonzalorenzo

Español (Madrid)
    Hehe, Adelaida. She marries a cat?:eek: I didn't remember that. I don't really know what I remember: it's a confusing story.
    But now that you say that about the mouse of the workerclass... I think you're right.
    Nada, hija, que no me aclaro.

23. murciana

murciana Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish - Spain
    Well, the version I was told (million years ago :D) has a different ending.

The ratita is called presumida (vain, conceited) because she spends the money on buying a ribbon to look pretty. When the suitors start to visit her for marriage, she shows no real interest in their inside but in the noise they make at night, worried because it may disturb her rest (the dog barks, the pig grunts, etc).
    She chooses the cat because, when asked, he replies that at night he sleeps and is quiet (makes no noise). But on the wedding night, she finds out that the cat only wanted to eat her.

The moral of the story is that appearance can be deceptive.

Sorry for the long explanation :eek:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  24. aldonzalorenzo

Español (Madrid)
    Murciana, me estás abriendo los ojos... Es cierto. ¿No era que ella preguntaba "¿Y por la noche qué harás?". Y uno -o alguien- responde: "Dormir y callar"?
    Realmente hace millones de años...

25. murciana

murciana Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish - Spain
    Exacto Aldonza!!
    - ¿Por las noches? Dormir y callar
    - ¡Pues contigo me he de casar!
    jajajaja esto es rejuvenecedor!!!!

26. ml07jrb Senior Member

Spanish - España
    Hi! Even though the thread is from a very long time, I'll contribute just in case it might help someone in the future. I've got a bilingual collection of tales, among which is "La ratita presumida". The English title is 'THE FUSSY LITTLE MOUSE'. Hope it helps.
    Greetings