La tela de penélope o quién engaña a quien?

Tema en 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' comenzado por buen chico, 29 de Septiembre de 2009.

1. buen chico Senior Member

india, delhi
    india-hindi
    Hola a todos

¿Alguna persona he leído este cuento , La tela de penélope o quién engaña a quien de Augusto monterroso ? ¿Digame , qué significa este cuento, por favor ? Responda en inglés , por favor.

Gracias

2. buen chico Senior Member

india, delhi
    india-hindi
    Ayudame , por favor

3. Martintxo Senior Member

Spain-UK
    Spanish, Spain
    This is not the forum to ask that and you can do some research in the internet if you google: "Penelope's cloth".

4. razom Senior Member

Mexican Spanish
    It is a very particular explanation of Homer's Odissey, almost a joke.

For the Monterroso's story to make sense one must have read the original account of Ulysses' adventures over many years (the adventures, not the reading) or at least be familiarized with it. Penelope, his wife, waited for him over those years (were they 10 or 20 years?, don't recall). Homer states that she kept weaving an endless fabric to remain loyal to him. Monterroso builds an alternate explanation.

5. isabel.eim

isabel.eim Senior Member

Caracas, Venezuela
    Spanish-Venezuela
    I've just read it. It's pretty short! :)

Well, the story is basically about infidelity. It's about Penelope, a beautiful woman who loved knitting madly, and her husband, Ulises, who was not able to spend a lot of time with his wife because of her "obssesion" with knitting.

Ulises, who was not able to spend time with his wife, decided to secretly escape every night to sail and find himself. However, while he was doing this, his wife could meet her lovers. That was the goal of her "knitting obssesion".

6. buen chico Senior Member

india, delhi
    india-hindi
    Ok, i did not get this answer in google that is why i ask here . You must make forum for this also , so that everyone can get knowledge about these very good texts .

Saludos

7. buen chico Senior Member

india, delhi
    india-hindi
    Thank you very much ...Isabel and razom

8. buen chico Senior Member

india, delhi
    india-hindi
    What i think is that Monterroso want to say that we should not make opinion about any person after listening anything from anyone that he/she is a bad person. As the title is ....La tela de penélope o quién engaña a quien........ as Monterroso also do not know that who deceives to whom, he is also confused. In this story , Ulises had aslo done wrong , he must not leave without telling penelope. And Penelope had also done wrong. Means no one knows , who is wrong. I also do not understand this text because i am confused too. ..................... So what do you all think ?????

9. razom Senior Member

Mexican Spanish
    I believe Monterroso was playing with the story rather than trying to make a moral statement.

10. buen chico Senior Member

india, delhi
    india-hindi
    Sir , why do you think that he was playing with the story ? If he is not giving us the moral statement than why he had written the story ? Just for fun ??

11. isabel.eim

isabel.eim Senior Member

Caracas, Venezuela
    Spanish-Venezuela
    I agree with Razom.

I think Monterroso just aimed to create an entertaining jokey story about a couple.

12. buen chico Senior Member

india, delhi
    india-hindi
    Ok , so please tell me what should i write of this question .............. qué significa el cuento ?
    And please think more about this text , if you get anything else than please let me know.

13. buen chico Senior Member

india, delhi
    india-hindi
    Contestenme ultima pregunta, por favor . Qué tenéis opinas sobre penélope ?

14. razom Senior Member

Mexican Spanish
    Buen chico, as I said before, you must be familiarized with the original story. The one written by Homer.

15. buen chico Senior Member

india, delhi
    india-hindi
    I know the original story ......

16. buen chico Senior Member

india, delhi
    india-hindi
    Please answer these two questions, please. .......Qué tiene opinion sobre penélope de Monterroso? y qué significa el cuento ?

17. buen chico Senior Member

india, delhi
    india-hindi
    Razom and Isabel , why are you not answering me , please answer me , I need your advice .

18. buen chico Senior Member

india, delhi
    india-hindi
    Please answer me whenever u get answer , as i think i am right about this text that it has moral statement.

19. isabel.eim

isabel.eim Senior Member

Caracas, Venezuela
    Spanish-Venezuela
    It depends on your point of view. In my opinion, Monterroso wanted to make a jokey story parallel, as Razom has said, to Homer's Odyssey. It might imply a moral statement if you want to consider infidelity as a judgment or critic from the author to the society. It might be that if you want to give that a protagonism in the story. But it can also be just a joke anyways. It's up to your interpretation.

Comparte esta página