La vérité sort de la bouche des enfants

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Eli*, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Eli* Senior Member

Salamanca, Spain
    Ireland - English
    Does the expression La vérité sort de la bouche des enfants refer to the fact that children do not know how to lie, or how to keep their traps shut sometimes, or that it's easier to interrogate a child than an adult...? is there an english eqivalent?

2. Marieve333 Senior Member

Quebec
    French, Canada
    It doesn't mean that children cannot keep their mouths shut, but rather that children are too "pure" to lie, and so, what they say very often, is the truth, as opposed to adults, who have learned to lie.
    I have no idea if such an expression exists in English

3. pyan

pyan Senior Member

Vendée, France
    English, UK, London
    It's origin is from the Bible. It starts with one of the Psalms and Jesus quptes (or mis-quotes or paraphrases) it. In English it is "Out of the mouths of babes..." and usually the last part is not said. It has the same meaning as the French - children sometimes come out with the truth that adults either can't see or want to hide.

Thanks for teaching me the French saying.:)

4. Eli* Senior Member

Salamanca, Spain
    Ireland - English
    very interesting source. how does the expression finish?

you're more than welcome!

5. pyan

pyan Senior Member

Vendée, France
    English, UK, London
    No connection there with the present day expression. "Out of the mouths of babes and sucklings comes the truth." Many people think Jesus actually said this. As I said the last three to five words are usually left unsaid.

And I am amazed at me, an avowed atheist, posting bible verses on an internet forum. :eek: :eek:

6. Eli* Senior Member

Salamanca, Spain
    Ireland - English
    Well I salute you for putting your own beliefs aside in order to educate me. I feel priviledged!