1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Ladybird

Discussion in 'עברית (Hebrew)' started by gab9, Jul 26, 2014.

1. gab9 New Member

French
    Hello,

I know my question isn't so smart but why did they choose the following word for Ladybird or Ladybug, I mean it's obvious there should be a reason with the Torah if yes, I'd like to know.

פָּרַת מֹשֶׁה רַבֵּנוּ : ladybird

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  2. Haskol Junior Member

Hebrew, English - US/Canada
    To the best of my knowledge it comes from Yiddish. In Yiddish the animal was called that or the little Mashiach, simply naming it after Jewish religious figures that begin with an "m". This is because in European languages it is generally associated with the virgin Mary (Ladybird being short for Our Lady's bird), whose name also starts with "m".

3. arbelyoni Senior Member

Hebrew
    The Hebrew name is indeed a loan translation from Yiddish ("משה רבנוס קיעלע", little cow of Moshe Rabenu), which for itslef is a Judaized version of other names in Europe for the bug that bear religious associations.
    The Hebrew term was probably coined in 1868 by Mendele Mokher Seforim.

Read more here and here.

4. MuttQuad

MuttQuad Senior Member

New York, NY
    English - AmE
    Here's another idea of the English names' etymology, per my dictionary: [Probably from its seven spots being considered a symbol of the seven sorrows of the Virgin Mary.]

It's also known, in English, as a lady beetle.

5. origumi Senior Member

Hebrew
    Those "7" names are funny because coccinella septempunctata (מושית השבע, ארגמנית שבע הנקודות) has 8 spots :)

6. Drink Senior Member

New England
    English - New England, Russian - Moscow
  7. origumi Senior Member

Hebrew
    But in the Hebrew Wikipedia:

למושית השבע שני זוגות כנפיים עדינות שצבען אדום, והן מנוקדות בשמונה נקודות שחורות, ארבע על כל כנף.

8. Drink Senior Member

New England
    It must be a mistake, unless you count the one spot in the middle as two spots because it is divided by the wings.

9. origumi Senior Member

Hebrew
    Exactly, there are 8 spots that look like 7.

10. Drink Senior Member

New England
    I would still consider it one spot.