1. ak6_star Junior Member

English, Canada
    l'expression "laissez-faire", est-ce qu'elle veut dire (en englais) "to leave someone alone, let someone life their own life and make their own decisions"??

2. eleanor-j Senior Member

English/Ireland
    Yep, but I'd say that a better expression in English is "live and let live".

3. ak6_star Junior Member

English, Canada
    Thanks.. ummm but can it also mean "to leave someone alone"?

4. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

I've heard "laissez-faire" used in several contexts in American English, but it has a little bit of an academic tone to it, I think. It is used in the context of the government removing, or refraining from the addition of, restrictions on free trade - as in "laissez-faire economics."

"Live and let live" is a nice phrase. I think it implies an attitude of respect among equals. Depending on the context, I think it would be great. It wouldn't apply too well to parenting, though, for example, or managing people in a company. I guess it depends on where you're planning to use this phrase.

One possibility might be a "hands-off policy." If a manager (or a parent) allows a great deal of autonomy, we say he's practicing a hands-off policy with his employees (or his children.) It implies that he has the authority to step in and make decisions but prefers to leave the decisions to the individual.

Wait... are you asking for a phrase in French that means what you said in English, or the other way around? Maybe I'm answering the wrong question.

5. fenix911 New Member

english/french
    laissez-faire means leave me alone basically this saying has many other meanings though there is no exaxt ones :)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014