1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Edwin, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Edwin

Edwin Senior Member

Tampa, Florida, USA
    USA / Native Language: English
    I heard the Cajun expression Laissez les bons temps rouler many times when I lived in New Orleans.

In a recent thread in the Spanish-English forum the English expression Let the good times roll was being discussed. The question arose whether one is taken from the other. Anyhow I want to ask French natives whether or not the expression Laissez les bons temps rouler is good idiomatic French or not?

2. Gil Senior Member

Français, Canada
    Il is a loan translation (calque) and is peculiar to Cajun French.

3. sam231985 New Member

English UK
    what would be the correct way of saying this in standard French? Would the syntax be altered in some way..?

4. Annecharlotte New Member

French-English
    It just doesn't sound like French at all, sounds like English translated into French, which is probably how it started...
    I can't think of anything right now... But something like... Que la fête commence!

5. Nicomon

Nicomon Senior Member

Montréal
    Français, Québec ♀
    Hello,

« Laissez les bons temps rouler », as said earlier, is typically Cajun.
    Of course it's a calque... however - although I wouldn't say it, as I may not be understood -
    I personally think it's cute. I happen to find Cajun French very colorful. ;)

Welcome to the forums, sam231985. :) I noticed you revived an old thread.

You may want to have a look at previous threads about "Let the good times roll"
    as found on this page :http://www.wordreference.com/enfr/let+the+good+times+roll

Among which, this interesting one : http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=14002

It would seem that « Que la fête commence » (may the party begin) is a common way to translate it.

One that comes to mind (as this is often related to Mardi Gras = « Et que la musique continue! » :eek:

In other words - but I could be wrong - I understand it as :
    « Prenons le temps de prendre du bon temps / Profitons du bon temps quand il passe. »

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  6. xtrasystole

xtrasystole Senior Member

France
    So do I :)
    (and it seems to me that 'que la fête commence' would be a serious mistranslation).

7. Gil Senior Member

Français, Canada
    I believe "Let the good times roll" is used in many different contexts, just as "Laissez les bons temps rouler". And Cajuns will say "Laissez les bons temps rouler",wathever other translation I might suggest.

8. thbruxelles Senior Member

French - France
    Anyhow I want to ask French natives whether or not the expression Laissez les bons temps rouler is good idiomatic French or not?[/quote]

As a French native (living in Brussels), I never heard this expression and would never use it. It is certainly not idiomatic in France, or in Belgium.