L'amour physique est sans issue

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Brown_Almond_Eyes, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Brown_Almond_Eyes New Member

English - India
    Hi,
    This is from the song "Je t'aime, moi non plus", which I'm translating for a friend.
    I'm not sure how to translate "sans issue". Please help.
    Thank you!

2. Siana2 Junior Member

Montréal, QC, Canada
    Bretagne, France ; français
    Perhaps "has no exit" ?

Bye

3. Brown_Almond_Eyes New Member

English - India
    Thank you for the quick reply .
    Do you mean "Physical love has no exit"? I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean.
    I wondered if it could be translated as "physical love has no consequence"?

4. doodlebugger Senior Member

France
    I would say physical love is a dead end.

I believe Gainsbourg meant that making love without actually loving your partner is pointless.

5. Micia93

Micia93 Senior Member

in the center of France
    FRANCE FRENCH

quite agree with you Doodlebugger :)
    that's the meaning

6. Franglais1969

Franglais1969 Senior Member

Angleterre.
    English English, français rouillé
    Autre suggestion:

Physical love goes/leads nowhere.

7. Brown_Almond_Eyes New Member

English - India
    I like the "dead end" translation.
    Thank you very much, you've all been very helpful!

8. lightning Junior Member

USA English
    This song is supposed to be a celebration of physical love over sentimental love. Could "sans issue" here mean something else, like "without upshot " "without consequences?" The translation here "dead end" is opposite to the explanation Gainsbourg offered here:

" Je t'aime... moi non plus exprime la superiorite de l'erotisme sur le sentimentalisme [...] Il existe des milliers de chansons consacres a l'amour romantique, sentimentale, des rencontres, decouvertes, jalousies, illusions, desillusions,des rendez vous, des trahisons, des remord, des haines, etc... Alors pourquoi ne pas consacrer une chanson a une sorte d'amour bien plus courant de nos jours, l'amour physique? "je t'aime" n'est pas une chanson obscene, elle me semble raisonnable et comble une lacune. L'explication est que la fille dit je t'aime pendant l'amour et que l'homme, avec le ridicule de la virilite, ne le croit pas. Il pense qu'elle ne le dit que dans un moment de jouissance, de plaisir. cela m'arrive de le croire, c'est un peu ma peur de me faire avoir. mais ca c'est aussi une demarche esthetique, une recherche d'absolu"

My translation:
    . I Love You, Me Neither, expresses the superiority of eroticism over sentimentalism….there exist millions of songs devoted to romantic love, meetings, discoveries, jealousies, illusions, disillusions, meetings, betrayals,remorse, hatred, etc. So why not consecrate a song to kind of love much more current these days, physical love? “I love you…” is not an obscene song, it seems reasonable to me and fills in a gap. The explanation is that the girl says “I love you” during love and that the man, with the ridiculousness of virility, doesn’t believe it. He thinks that she only says it in the instant of pleasure,. I happen to believe that, and it’s a bit my fear of being had, but it’s also an aesthetic step, a search for the absolute.

9. allezallez

allezallez Senior Member

Am. English
    First I'd like to say that I agree with you (at the risk of going out on a limb or limbs, poetically, linguistically, culturally....etc...).

To me, the lyrics are comical; they play around with the vulnerability and lack of control either of them has in the act of love-making. She says I love you when maybe she doesn't, and he says me neither when maybe he should say something else. They "come, go" etc... they are compared to nude islands and indecisive waves, and they say, come!, no, not now!, now!, come!...etc.

I would think that "sans issue" plays around with how it may be difficult to control climax especially for a long time. (And for how long does the song continue, "je vais et je viens"?!) For quite a while - and it seems like there's no out!

Afterthought: since we know that Gainsbourg engaged in inter-language wordplay (see "un zeste du limon" for "lemon incest"), could there indeed be a double-entendre here? Something like "physical love without end and without issue/problem?"

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  10. Kat LaQ Senior Member

NY, NY
    English, USA
    How about: Physical love is its own end.

That could accommodate the idea of the triumph of the erotic over the sentimental.

11. Micia93

Micia93 Senior Member

in the center of France
    FRANCE FRENCH
    that's the right opposite then !

don't compare "sans issue" with "sans fin"
    this sentence actually means that "physical live is a dead end" as Doodlebugger suggested, not that physical love is endless

12. allezallez

allezallez Senior Member

Am. English
    ...I knew I was going out on a long, thin, shaky branch!
    So, if "l'amour physique" is like a "dead end", in this case, could that just mean that the two know where they're going to end up at the end of the whole deal (it's simple, predictable in the end, but not necesarily meaningless)? In other words, I guess that I'm stubborn to accept that the usage is pejorative on a broader level here. :eek:

13. Micia93

Micia93 Senior Member

in the center of France
    FRANCE FRENCH
    well, again I second Doodlebugger when he says : I believe Gainsbourg meant that making love without actually loving your partner is pointless
    and it is of course derogatory
    I don't know if the two are aware or not of ending up at the end of the physical act (I don't quite remember the song in fact) : it may be a wish (he wants her to love him) or a fact (we don't love each other but we still make love, which is pointless, but the whole life is so pointless ...)

14. lightning Junior Member

USA English
    Thank you all for your comments. I think the double or multiple meaning here is the best interpretation. YouTube was gross enough to complain that my translated video of this song "violated community standards" and so took it down, but you can still see it on DailyMotion in English, someone couldn't handle it and had it banned!
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x59uji_serge-gainsbourg-brigitte-bardot-je_music

15. Beachxhair

Beachxhair Senior Member

Manchester UK
    English-England
    Just to clarify, does sans issue in this context mean both: (1) physical love has no 'point', nothing is attained from it ultimately, (2) physical love continues without an endpoint (until climax)?