lamppost or lamp-post

Discussion in 'English Only' started by rosecima, Aug 3, 2011.

1. rosecima New Member

English - England
    lamppost or lamp-post?

Is there a difference between these two, and which is the correct/most widely used?

2. Andygc

Andygc Senior Member

British English
    Actually, in British English it is "lamp post" - see the Concise Oxford Dictionary.
  3. Matching Mole

Matching Mole Senior Member

England, English
    Yes, the Concise (at least the version at WR, and the Oxford Dictionaries online version "World English" setting) does have "lamp post", and that's how I spell it. On the US setting it has "lamppost". "Lamppost" looks odd to the extent of being wrong to me, as a BE speaker.

The full OED has only "lamp-post", interestingly.

It seems that "lamppost" is US, and "lamp post" or "lamp-post" are British. I've no idea about other Englishes.
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  4. rosecima New Member

English - England

I have gone with "lamp post" as i'm looking for the british.

Also "lamppost" looks a bit odd to me too!
  5. natkretep

natkretep Moderato con anima

English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Yes, lamppost looks decidedly odd to me too. I went round looking at publications that refer to C S Lewis's The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (where there is a significant lamp post) and see lamp post, lamp-post and lamppost, depending on place of publication. There is an American publication at least that uses lamp-post. I am a little surprised that lamp post seems a little under represented: that is what I think I'd write.