Langosta vs Bogavante

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by panda08, Jun 25, 2007.

1. panda08 Senior Member

Newcastle upon Tyne
    English, UK

I'm transating a text about seafood native to Asturias, Spain and have come across a list of different species. Does anyone know the difference between langosta and bogavante? The dictionary says they are both lobsters in English but with two different names I suspect they are different varieties...

Thanks in advance
  2. allende Senior Member

Spanish (Spain)/Catalan
  3. allende Senior Member

Spanish (Spain)/Catalan
    I found a possible translation: "clawed lobster" (for bogavante)
  4. panda08 Senior Member

Newcastle upon Tyne
    English, UK
    Excellent, thanks very much. On further investigation I think they might be a common lobster (bogavante) and a spiny lobster (langosta), otherwise called the crayfish.

5. panda08 Senior Member

Newcastle upon Tyne
    English, UK
    clawed lobster sounds good to me, thanks again!:)
  6. Camilo1964

Camilo1964 Senior Member

Caracas, Venezuela
    Spanish - Venezuela

A distinctive mark of a Bogavante is its fan-shape tail. Other lobsters have straight tails.

P.S. Bogavante: European (clawed) Lobster (according to Wikipedia)
  7. uucat Junior Member

American English, French
    Just for future reference, A 'Langosta' is not a Crayfish. Crayfish is a freshwater crustacean. Langosta is properly translated as 'Spiny Lobster', a temperate/tropical sea Lobster. They don't have claws.

'Bogavante' is the typical Clawed Lobster (as in Maine Lobster).
  8. Hugh Caddess New Member

English USA
  9. antoniocold New Member

Falkland Islands
    Hi all,

According to their scientific names 'bogavante' and 'langosta' are NOT related. I was shocked to find that in English they are both known as 'lobster'
  10. antoniocold New Member

Falkland Islands
    Lobster (Spanish 'langosta') (French 'langouste'): scientific palinurus
    European Lobster (Spanish 'bogavante') (French 'homard'): scientific homarus

The main distinguishing feature of the 'spiny lobster' are the huge antennae whereas the 'clawed lobster' is easly recognised by its powerfull claws, that can easily chop any human's finger.
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  11. antoniocold New Member

Falkland Islands
    Crayfish, as a freshwater crustacean, is known as 'cangrejo de rio' literally 'river crab'
    Crayfish can be also a salt water crustacean, Spanish 'cigala'
    In general, the common names for fish, can be very misleading and always the best to avoid confusion is to quote their scientific names.
  12. EddieZumac

EddieZumac Senior Member

Mexico City
    Yes, the bogavante is the clawed lobster, akin to the Maine Lobster.
    There are many types of lobsters, which do not have claws, such as:
    Pacific lobster
    Caribbean lobster
    Australian lobster
    South African lobster

When you order lobster tails in a restaurant, you will probably get one of the above, frozen, and very rarely will the tails be from a bogavante or Maine lobster.