Languages that have similar words for wind and window.

Discussion in 'Etymology, History of languages and Linguistics (EHL)' started by relativamente, May 10, 2011.

1. relativamente Senior Member

catalan and spanish
    According to Etymonline the word window is derived from wind.
    Also ventana (Spanish) is derived from ventus, meaning wind.
    Latin fenestra derives from the root ΦΑΝ
    My questions are.First question : does this root ΦΑΝ mean also wind?
    and second : Are there other languages that use the word for wind to derive also the word for window?
  2. kloie Senior Member

houston tx
    american english from texas
    Not that I can think of not in Slavic,other Germanic,not in Persian and maybe not in Arabic.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2011
  3. bibax Senior Member

Window is derived from wind eye, Old Norse vindauga.

Slavic okno (= window) is from oko (= eye).
    Originally okno was an oval hole between two beams.
  4. Johannes Senior Member

Natal, Brazil
    Dutch Netherlands
    In Dutch: wind and venster ( IN French: vent and fenetre?)
    The portuguese word "janela" also derives from the latim fenestra.
    Last edited: May 10, 2011
  5. er targyn Senior Member

It might be an Etruscan loan.
  6. relativamente Senior Member

catalan and spanish
    I do not think portuguese janela derives from fenestra. I am not sure but maybe is a diminutive from janua, meaning door.I do not have an etymological dictionary of portuguese but I think it is eassy to confirm or to reject.
  7. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

Yes according to prof. Babiniotis it is probably of Etruscan origin. In Greek «παράθυρο» (pa'raθiro n.) from Hellenistic «παραθύριον» (pără'tʰŭrīŏn n.) or «παραθύρα» (pără'tʰūră f.)-->init. wicket, side-door later window ≠ «ἄνεμος» ('ănĕmŏs m.), «άνεμος» ('anemos m. in Modern Greek)-->wind.
    We call this (oval or round hole between two beams) in Greek «φινιστρίνι» (fini'strini n.) a loan word from Italian or Venetian. It's Jackspeak (navy slang) with its ancient name being «παραφωτίς» (părăpʰō'tīs f.)-->lit. side-lighter (usually a small opening fitted with grating). Again «παραφωτίς» (părăpʰō'tīs f.) ≠ «ἄνεμος» ('ănĕmŏs m.), «άνεμος» ('anemos m. in Modern Greek)-->wind.
  8. PABLO DE SOTO Senior Member

Spain Spanish

Vind ( Wind)

Vindue ( Window)
  9. Frank06

Frank06 Senior Member

Nederlands / Dutch (Belgium)
    Da Cunha's Dicionário etimológico da língua portuguesa confirms your explanation:
    janela < do Latim vulgar *januella, dimin. de janua.
    I could find fenestrado ("que tem janela") and fenestral, but given the dates in the same dictionary (resp. 1858, XIX), these look like reloans from Latin.

10. Johannes Senior Member

Natal, Brazil
    Dutch Netherlands
    In pt.wiktionary it is claimed that janela derives from fenestra.
    It seems far more plausable to me too that it comes from januella
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2013
  11. CapnPrep Senior Member

That is not true: Someone added the correct etymology today, but before that there was never anything in this entry about the origin of the word.
  12. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    If I'm not mistaken, janua is etymologically related to Janus, the two-faced Roman god of gates and beginnings. :)

Although Wikipedia gives other etymologies, the Online Etymology Dictionary seems to agree with this idea.
  13. Johannes Senior Member

Natal, Brazil
    Dutch Netherlands
    You are right : I misread wiktionary.
  14. terredepomme Senior Member

Human Language
    And also the beginning month of the year, January.
    Sorry if too off-topic...
  15. er targyn Senior Member

If I'm not mistaken, Romans' first month wasn't January.
  16. xari Member

Moderator note: Split from here.

Is it accurate that the Russian word for window окно is a borrowing from Old Scandinavian vindr+auga ("eye towards the wind") which gives English window; while at the same time the Russian word for eye глаз is cognates with the Old Norse/Icelandic word for window gluggi? Or in other words, eye is window and window is eye?
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2013
  17. NorwegianNYC

NorwegianNYC Senior Member

New York, NY, USA
    No. Window is (as you quite correctly point out) from vindr+auga, but it does not mean "eye of the wind", it means "eye towards the wind", and "wind" here is a reference to the outside. Actually, the term originally referred to an overhead smoke vent (hole) in the roof. However, the word caught on, and is the main word in English, Norwegian (vindu), Danish (vindue), and in dialectal Swedish (vindu).
  18. DenisBiH

DenisBiH Senior Member

According to this, *okъno is Proto-Slavic.
  19. Treaty Senior Member

In Persian, an old word for window was baadgir (wind catcher). It is consisted of baad=wind (vata in Avestan) and gir (present form of greftan,to grab, to gear). However, it doesn't suggest any visibility through this window. In recent centuries, it is mostly used for wind-towers, a structure for ventilation.

Currently, the common word for window is panjere that is used at least since 11th century in its current form. However, it seems to be mostly related to visibility. It strangely looks like fenetre or finistre, and Greek parathura (mentioned by apmoy70). Is it just a coincidence? It's hard to think either Greek or Iranian had not a word for such a widespread ancient architectural element, in their own language, to borrow it from other languages.
    P.S. An architecture historian [Pirnia] once wrote (without reference) it comes from panj- an old Persian root for to cut and to put(?). It is probably from panjeh (paw) which comes from panj (five, fingers). As an architect, I don't think it is related to window, and Pirnia's work were more romantic rather than scientific.
  20. francisgranada Senior Member

The Spanish ventana (window) is surely similar to viento (wind). Also etymologically, e.g. according to DRAE: "ventana. (Del lat. ventus)...."

As to the Portuguese "janela" see also the following fragment from the so called kharjas:
    "Qué faré, mamma? Meu al-habib est' ad yana" (yana = puerta, door)
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  21. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Very interesting! Would yana be a loan from Arabic?
  22. francisgranada Senior Member

It's from Latin ianua (door)