Larjinjiak (pronunciation)

Discussion in 'Polski (Polish)' started by Pajapatak, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Pajapatak Senior Member

Belgrade, Serbie
    serbe / Serbian
    Hi everybody.
    I'm translating a novel from French into Serbian and there is an American of Polish origin whose name is Larjinjiak. Could you, please, suggest me the transcription?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    larińjak is how I'd pronounce it (using Polish letters). If you need the English version of it, I'd suggest asking in the English Only forum.

EDIT: I've added bold face to mark the stress.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  3. Pajapatak Senior Member

Belgrade, Serbie
    serbe / Serbian
    Thanks a lot, Thomas1 :)

4. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    Such a name does not sound very Polish. Neither -"ri" nor "ńja" occur in Polish spelling or pronuciation. We can only make wild guessing in this case, but the most probable version of this name in Polish can be "Laryniak" or "Łaryniak". The name consists of three syllables, and "ni" is here a palatal "n" (the "i" is not pronounced.
    The map of Polish names (http://www.moikrewni.pl/mapa/) doesn't show anybody bearing this name in Poland, so it is probably an invented name. Maybe a corruption of Wawrzyniak.

This last theory may be strengthen by the fact that the original transcription seems to be French, and sound something like "Larżynżak" using Polish spelling (the "j" should be pronounced like in French).

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  5. Pajapatak Senior Member

Belgrade, Serbie
    serbe / Serbian
    It looks quite logical. Thanks a lot. :)