1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Last second day or second last day? (second to last)

Discussion in 'English Only' started by hcjohnny, Jul 4, 2009.

1. hcjohnny Senior Member

Mandarin
    I understand the meaning of "last day", but I don't know how to say the day before the last day in the similar format.
    Should I say " last second day" or "second last day"?
    Thank you for your help.

2. AprendoSiempre Senior Member

North Carolina, USA
    American English (NC)
    The simplest way would probably be "the second-to-last day." I like this one best.
    Another possibility: "the next-to-last day."
    If you want to sound formal, you could say "the penultimate day."

Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  3. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

I've also read "last day but one", but I think that might be more British English than American English.

4. natkretep

natkretep Moderato con anima

Singapore
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Most common is 'second last day'. I'd understand 'last day but one' or 'penultimate', but these would be more marked.

5. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    I don't say "second last", though I think I've heard it. "Last second" would be wrong.

For me, it's "second-to-last day", "next-to-last day" or "last day but one". Or, if I'm being formal, "penultimate";)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  6. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

I would understand second-to-last day but I wouldn't understand second last day to mean the same thing, and it would be an unusual use to me. I wonder if it's simply a regional difference.

A second last day to me would be the last day of a second visit to the same place, for example. "On our first trip to Paris, last year, we spent our last day in the Louvre. This year I picked up a bad case of diarrhea and spent our second last day in Paris in the loo."

7. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    In informal conversation: "The day before the last day."