Latin accersere evolution into accersited

Discussion in 'Etymology, History of languages and Linguistics (EHL)' started by erasmuskiel, Jan 18, 2013.

1. erasmuskiel Banned

Castillian Spanish (Spain)
    Hi,
    I have a doubt about the evolution of this word, I guess the proccess is the following:
    1. change in the part of speech: accersere > accersit
    what I do not understand is the -ed (accersited) why add another mark of past?
    Thank u

2. CapnPrep Senior Member

France
    AmE
    The crucial development is not a change in part of speech (in fact, it always remains a verb), but the change from one language (Latin) to another (English). When it is used as an English word, English verbal morphology is applied.
    In the case of accersited, the -ed is actually the mark of the passive participle. There is also a simpler form accersed. Both are given as "Obs. rare." in the OED.

3. Hutschi

Hutschi Senior Member

Dresden, Universum
    German, Germany
    Hi, Erasmuskiel,
    my question is
    Is accersed derived from accersit or from accersited?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  4. exgerman Senior Member

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    What word are you thinking of? there's no English word accersed or accersit or accersite.

The only use of accersed is as a fake-dialect version of accursed---but then there's no Latin word accurso.

So there's some flaw somewhere in your data.

5. bibax Senior Member

Czech
    English commonly forms the verbs from the Latin supines.

inficio, inficere > sup. infectum > to infect > infected;
    investigo, investigare > sup. investigatum > to investigate > investigated;
    irrigo, irrigare > sup. irrigatum > to irrigate > irrigated;

Thus (if such verbs existed in English):

accerso, accersere > sup. accersitum > to accersite > accersited;
    arcesso, arcessere > sup. arcessitum > to arcessite > arcessited;

NB. arcessere and accersere are two variants of the same Latin verb.

6. berndf Moderator

Geneva
    German (Germany)
    Did you note the last line of #2? ("Both are given as "Obs. rare." in the OED")

7. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    Bibax has answered the question correctly.

8. CapnPrep Senior Member

France
    AmE
    It's true that verbs derived from supines in -ītum normally end in -ite in English (cf. unite, expedite), but the OED says the verb was accersit, not accersite. I wonder how they know this, since it apparently only occurs in the passive…

9. bibax Senior Member

Czech
    Maybe they mistakenly thought that the supine accersītum ended in -itum, not -ītum. The supine ending -itum is quite rare in Latin as the vowel i is unstressed and was dropped in most cases. The verbs derived from supines in -itum mostly end in -it in English, e.g. vomere, vomitum > to vomit.

10. CapnPrep Senior Member

France
    AmE
    They know their Latin at the OED: "< classical Latin accersītus, past participle of accersere to summon". There are some English verbs in -it that go back to Latin -īt- (e.g. audit), so I suppose it's not impossible.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  11. bibax Senior Member

Czech
    How is the word accersited pronounced? (-sited or -sitted?)

12. CapnPrep Senior Member

France
    AmE
    It's anybody's guess… The word is obsolete now, and it was always rare. The OED's attestations are both from the 16th century, so there may be no way to know how it was pronounced then (and the pronunciation would likely have changed if the word had survived).