1. entangledbank

entangledbank Senior Member

London
    English - South-East England
    What is the relationship between the two Latin words educo? Specifically, why the short vowel in [e:duka:-] "educate"? Is it a zero grade? I would have thought the [-a:-] formative was comparatively late, after the grade ablaut stage - but I'm very much an amateur here.

Also, I'd have thought the specialization of meaning would go like this: the transparent 3rd conjugation compound [e:-du:k-] would begin life as "lead out" then become specialized to "educate", after which a new verb would be needed to mean "lead out". The productive suffix is [-a:-], so I'd expect 1st conjugation [e:du:ka:-] (preserving the long root vowel) to be created for this. But that's not how it happened. Any ideas on this?

Skeat just mentions the two are connected, and Sihler doesn't seem to cover it.

2. CapnPrep Senior Member

France
    AmE
    dŭcāre is a durative form corresponding to dūcere. Yes, the short vowel goes back to a zero grade. We can find the same alternation in the following derivatives:
    dīcere → abdĭcāre, dēdĭcāre, praedĭcāre (≠ praedīcere), indĭcāre (≠ indīcere)
    lābor, lābī "slide, slip" → lăbāre "totter, waver"

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2013
  3. entangledbank

entangledbank Senior Member

London
    English - South-East England
    Thank you: I'll look them up in Sihler. This question has bugged me for years.