Latin palindrome Sator Arepo

Discussion in 'Lingua Latina (Latin)' started by Ben Jamin, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Ben Jamin Senior Member

I have recently read an article about the famous palindrome:
    The author of the article claims that the palindrome is a grammatically correct sentence.
    I have tried to analyze the sentence and found the following:
    SATOR - sawer (farmer), nominative
    AREPO - the farmer's name, artificially created for the palindrome
    TENET - has or holds (third person indicative praesens)
    OPERA - works (nominative, plural)
    ROTAS - wheels (accusative, plural)
    If we omit the word OPERA, we get something like a sentence: "Sawer Arepo holds wheels", but how does the word OPERA fit the sentence?
  2. CapnPrep Senior Member

Opera is both nominative and accusative plural of opus. And there is also a feminine noun opera (nominative or ablative singular).

See also: Sator Square.
  3. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Thank you!
  4. Ben Jamin Senior Member

OK, but is it possible to give a meaningsfull translation including that word?
  5. CapnPrep Senior Member

Opera can be an ablative noun ("in his work"), or an accusative in apposition to rotas ("wheels as his work") or in coordination with rotas ("his work and his wheels").
  6. relativamente Senior Member

catalan and spanish
    ŏpĕra , ae, f. opus,
    I. service, pains, exertion, work, labor (opus is used mostly of the mechanical activity of work, as that of animals, slaves, and soldiers; opera supposes a free will and desire to serve).
    2. In abl.: operā meā, tuā, etc., through my (thy, etc.) means, agency, fault:

Indeed has a lot of sense.specially supposing he used a plough with wheels
    In my view the weak point is the use of a maybe uncommon name like Arepo, but you know in Roman empire used to live many people with maybe uncommon names
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2011