1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Latin word for "existence"

Discussion in 'Lingua Latina (Latin)' started by hawkfan, Feb 14, 2007.

1. hawkfan New Member

United States, English
    Is there a Latin word for "existence"? If not, what would the best substitute be?

2. Kael Junior Member

U.S.
    If you asked me, I'd say the verb 'sum, esse, fui, futurum' (to be, exist) would be pretty close.

3. hawkfan New Member

United States, English
    I'm actually looking for a noun that means "existence". If there isn't one, what would be the closest Latin noun to "existence"?

4. Deccius Junior Member

English U.S.
    "Existentia" maybe?

5. hawkfan New Member

United States, English
    I looked that up and it's not a word.

I meant more along the lines of a real Latin word that had a meaning that was most closely associated with the English meaning of "existence".

6. modus.irrealis Senior Member

Toronto
    English, Canada
    Existentia is a word, but it seems to be a medieval Latin word. If you need a classical word, I'd suggest that esse, the infinitive of "to be", might work depending on how you want to use it.

7. hawkfan New Member

United States, English
    Would esse be a noun? As to using it, I would be relating it to another noun. (i.e., he is existence)

8. jazyk Senior Member

Brno, Česká republika
    Brazílie, portugalština
    Other translations for existence: vita, ortus, aetas.

9. modus.irrealis Senior Member

Toronto
    English, Canada
    Yes, esse would be treated as a (neuter) noun, but it can only be used in the nominative. Although, something like is est esse would probably mean something closer to "he is being" rather than "he is existence" so it depends if that is close enough for you. And I'm not sure that this is "good" Latin. If you provided some more context, it might be easier for people here to help you choose the best option.

10. jazyk Senior Member

Brno, Česká republika
    Brazílie, portugalština
    I doubt it's good Latin.

11. modus.irrealis Senior Member

Toronto
    English, Canada
    I wouldn't disagree. I could only find such phrases (things like Deus est esse) from medieval works.

12. hawkfan New Member

United States, English
    Actually, I was able to resolve the issue on another forum.

Thanks to you all for the help :)

13. Flaminius

Flaminius coclea mod

capita Iaponiae
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    Good for you. But then again, would you care to reproduce that answer for us here?