latir - no le latió

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Andrew25, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Andrew25 Member

U.S. - English
    I'm watching the movie Ladrón Que Roba A Ladrón and one of the lines used in it is "Pero no le latió dividir 50% y 50%." and the English translation of this given in the English subtitles is "But he didn't like the 50/50 cut you proposed." They're talking about a guy named Rodriguez that they're thinking about bringing in on some sort of job they're planning and one of them is saying (supposedly) that he didn't like the idea of a 50/50 cut.

I've never heard "latir" used in this manner, to mean "like", like "gustarse" would be used. I also can't find anything about it in the dictionary or any other threads on here, can someone help me out, is this the correct translation of this phrase, are the English subtitles right? If so, is this some sort of uncommon Mexican slang? Has anyone ever heard it before? Does it just mean "like" or is it more complex than that?

Oh, and why is that "le" in there? Shouldn't it just be "Pero no latió dividir 50% y 50%."?

Thank you ahead of time, I appreciate any assistance.
  2. Jerzon

Jerzon Senior Member

DRAE : latir

Look at "~le a alguien algo"

I wouldn't say it means "to like", or at least not in the common sentences I've heard. I think "presentir(lo)" is more accurate, even though in this case it could be rephrased as "pero no pensó que sería buena idea dividir 50% y 50%"

3. logos007 Member

California, US
    US English, Mexican Spanish
    Actually, this meaning of "latir" IS found in the WordReference dictionary.

I think "He didn't like the 50/50 cut you proposed" is a perfectly good translation of the general meaning of the phrase. The slang usage is sort of related to the idea that your heart speaks to you depending on how you feel... only the heart can't talk... it beats (at you). So, it's like... if your heart/gut says "yes", then it beats... if it says "no," then it doesn't beat. Since it's beating "to you" (instead of "speaking to you"), that's why it's a reflexive.

Well... at least my explanation made sense to me... :D
  4. Jerzon

Jerzon Senior Member

As logos said above, you can find the meaning of latir in WR. However, taking into account it's a Mexican movie, both meanings are used (or at least that's what they say), so I don't think it hurts to know more than one of them, and both can be appropriate here.

P.S. Logos I appreciate sincerity.