1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

lautlos / leise

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by Hau Ruck, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Hau Ruck

Hau Ruck Senior Member

United States - Midwest
    English - U.S.
    Hello,
    My question is in regards to 'lautlos' and 'leise'. I understand them both to be adverbs for 'quietly/silently' as well as adjectives for 'quiet/silent'.

My questions are these. Would one be more preferable than the other? Is one more effective to express emphasis (such as 'lautlos')?
    I am wondering these questions because 'lautlos' seems (to me) to have more inherent emphasis because it is a 'lack of loud' instead of just 'quiet'.

My source for this word choice is from the song, Kann Denn Liebe Suende Sein by Eisbrecher in which it is used as an adverb.
    "Ich hab dich lautlos abgelegt
    Du bist so stumm und unbewegt"

Danke im Voraus :)

2. Frank78

Frank78 Senior Member

Saxony-Anhalt
    German
    lautlos - without ANY sound
    leise - there may be a low noise

3. Hau Ruck

Hau Ruck Senior Member

United States - Midwest
    English - U.S.
    Thanks Frank.

That makes sense since 'lautlos' virtually means 'loud-less'.

So, really, 'lautlos' means completely silent and 'leise' means very quiet.

4. das brennende Gespenst Senior Member

Berlin, Deutschland
    Australisches Englisch
    More like sound-less, since German -los and English -less are both added to nouns to make adjectives indicating a lack of the noun. I can't think of any instance of either being added to an adjective. It just so happens that there is a noun Laut and an identical adjective laut in German, but lautlos is certainly derived from the noun.

5. berndf Moderator

Geneva
    German (Germany)
    :thumbsup: No doubt about that.

6. Hau Ruck

Hau Ruck Senior Member

United States - Midwest
    English - U.S.
    Ahhh, thanks Gespenst! I hadn't even considered it in the noun form. That makes perfect sense. I am so used to 'laut' being in the adjective form that I had not even considered 'Laut' being the prefix of this word.

'Sound-less'. It makes perfect sense now. :)

7. Hutschi

Hutschi Senior Member

Dresden, Universum
    German, Germany
    Hi, in this song it seems to be an idiom.
    I think it is something like "I murdered you and put you down without any word or sound".

The song seems to be a parody of the song I know from Zarah Leander. http://www.magistrix.de/lyrics/Zarah Leander/Kann-Denn-Liebe-S-nde-Sein-173794.html

For me the parody is outside of my understanding. But you should consider it is a metaphor. Maybe it is valid in a song. It is a kind of very black humor.

Basically it says:
    I am just pedophile, and you should not think I am bad when I murdered the child. I loved. Love is no sin, is it?

I wondered about the strange text because I knew the original.

---
    I think in the metaphor it also has "without words" additionally to without sound".
    And "lautlos" is related also to the child.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  8. Hau Ruck

Hau Ruck Senior Member

United States - Midwest
    English - U.S.
    Interesting. There is a line about 'jung' that now has me wondering if you are right.

9. Hutschi

Hutschi Senior Member

Dresden, Universum
    German, Germany
    Can you give me your source? To avoid that I refer to another version. I did not know it until now but searched the text in the Internet.
    I found, for example, this one: http://loudsongs.com/e/eisbrecher/sunde/show-all-songs

Also "stumm" fits to the context.

"Unbewegt" is a symbol of death. At least of stiffness.

Another song of the album says "Ich will dich leiden sehn" (I want to see you suffering).

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  10. berndf Moderator

Geneva
    German (Germany)
    I can't follow you. Where is there an idiom? I have never heard neither "jemanden lautlos ablegen" or "stumm und unbewegt sein" before, not to mention in a fixed figurative meaning.

11. Hutschi

Hutschi Senior Member

Dresden, Universum
    German, Germany
    Maybe "idiom" is wrong. How do you call it when the sum of the words changes the meaning of the single words and you cannot understand the sentence purely from the meaning of the words? The sentence gets a meaning of its own you would not suppose when reading the single words?

12. berndf Moderator

Geneva
    German (Germany)
    Does it? I cannot see that. You can understand these lyrics in many ways. It depends what's going on in your head. There is no meaning singled out by idiomatic usage. The band even denies the lyrics have a pedophile background though this statements sound a bit like a "Schutzbehauptung".

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013