1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Lay a foundation

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by Perrito, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Perrito

Perrito Senior Member

Estats Units
    Estats Units, anglès
    "Counsel, lay a foundation," said the judge.

I don't have any context, but I think it's maybe a lawyer who is deviating from the topic, and he wants him to "ir al grano," but I'm not sure. Any ideas as to how this is used in US courts?

Mi intento: "Señor abogado, asiente las bases de su argumento."

Goyo

2. litiga8or

litiga8or Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    Rainy Oregon! USA
    To lay a foundation -- this refers to offering exhibits into evidence. First, the attorney who offers the exhibit must "lay a foundation" of information that the exhibit is genuine. This is done by asking a witness who made the exhibit if it is genuine. Usually there is a series of questions, to establish who made the exhibit, how they made it, under what conditions, etc. etc.

For example, to offer a photograph into evidence, the attorney would ask the person who took the photograph: Did you take this photograph? or Does this photograph represent the scene?

3. The Spanish version = "establecer el fundamento" ("establezca el fundamento", as an order from the judge).

I must say that such an expression sounds a bit awkward to me, but better than others to translate the idea.

4. Perrito

Perrito Senior Member

Estats Units
    Estats Units, anglès
    I just now had a chance to get back to this post. Thanks litiga8or for the explanation of what it is in English, and thanks José Manuel...for the translation.

Goyo