1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

lay - have you laid away your summer clothes

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by AlSpider, Oct 17, 2012.

1. AlSpider Junior Member

Badajoz
    Spanish (Spain)
    Hi to all:

I'm doing an English excercise regarding the uses of "Lie", "Lay" as well as the past tenses of every each of them Lay and Laid. Could you please help me translate the following phrasal verb into English?

- Have you laid away your summer clothes yet?

I'll have a go now: Has mudado/cambiado la ropa de verano ya?

What would you say? I would be pleased to be corrected if there are any wrong expressions or uses. Thanks a lot!

2. aztlaniano

aztlaniano Senior Member

Lavapiestán, Madrid
    English (Aztlán, US sector)
    Lay away - Guardar, y guardar bien guardada, para mucho tiempo (hasta el verano próximo, en este caso).

3. Chris K Senior Member

Tacoma WA, US
    English / US
    Into Spanish?

"Lay away" in this sense usually means to store, to put away in a closet or wardrobe. However, it can also mean "to put on reserve at a store, to be collected later upon full payment." So you'd have to know the context.

¿Almacenar? Probably not.

4. AlSpider Junior Member

Badajoz
    Spanish (Spain)
    Vaya, pues nada tenía que ver con lo que yo creía. ¡Muchísimas gracias, Aztlaniano! Eres de gran ayuda siempre.

Thanks for the suggestions, Chris K. I'll take "to put on a reserve at a store" into account as I may use it in that way very soon.

5. jessi330 Junior Member

Buenos Aires, AR
    English-USA, Nebraska
    I would never say that I "laid away" my summer clothes." I would put them away until next summer. Lay away only brings to mind reserving an item at a store you cannot immediately pay for.

6. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

What century was your textbook published in?

7. AlSpider Junior Member

Badajoz
    Spanish (Spain)
    In the twenty-first century, I guess. My teacher wrote all those sentences for us to fill in the blanks with the uses of Lie and Lay. She spent a long period of time living both in England and Ireland. Does it sound so odd to you?

8. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

Yes, no one would say it here in the U.S. I don't know if they still say it in the U.K.

9. gengo

gengo Senior Member

I agree with my compatriots that we do not lay away summer clothes in the US nowadays, but we do say that we lay away money for a rainy day (to save money for unexpected future needs). However, the original sentence is perfectly understandable to me.

Have to go put away my summer clothes now...

10. aztlaniano

aztlaniano Senior Member

Lavapiestán, Madrid
    Es cierto que se usa "lay away" para reservar algo en una tienda, con el pago de una señal y mensualidades, pero suele ser para muebles o electrodomésticos como neveras (frigoríficos) o lavadoras y secadoras, y por tanto no me pareció probable que, tratándose de ropa de verano, se usara en ese sentido en el texto que ha motivado este hilo.

For the benefit of the youthful and American k-in-sc, here's what was written this very century, only one year ago, by our colleague Lis48:
    http://forum.wordreference.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=11303516

11. gengo

gengo Senior Member

Anyone who can use the word "interleaved" in normal conversation is in another echelon of speakers!

Like I said, the meaning is perfectly clear, but I don't hear people use that verb in this context. And my age is beyond that of the lovely K.

12. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

(Not that far beyond! Spitting distance, I'd say ;) )
    Lis48 was explaining a phrase quoted here in 1882, when aztlaniano was just a tyke.

13. aztlaniano

aztlaniano Senior Member

Lavapiestán, Madrid
    I deduce that AlSpider's teacher never wears a "dress hat" in an omnibus.

14. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    "Lay away" sounds odd to me, a BrE speaker. I don't use it and I don't think I've ever heard it.

15. AlSpider Junior Member

Badajoz
    Spanish (Spain)
    Hahaha, obviously not. She looks very young and she's around forty. The thing is that she always speaks very formally and has a wide range of vocabulary, taking into account she's got the C2 level of CEFR, but it's a nice point to know different views from other natives anyhow. Thanks guys!

16. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

Knowing what degree of formality is appropriate is part of speaking the language well.