1. esperanza2 Senior Member

France
    English
    is the english translation of this - key word?

2. fetchezlavache

fetchezlavache Senior Member

metz, france
    france
    yeppers ! :)

3. edwingill Senior Member

England English
    i think it is catchword

4. esperanza2 Senior Member

France
    English
    catchword sounds like a much more fitting translation. thank you so much!

5. Emma_Lee Senior Member

English U.S.A.
    In US English we say "buzzword" (or "catch-phrase" for more than one word)

6. kieran75 Senior Member

France, Spain
    English
    So what is the difference between "maître mot" and "mot clé" ?

La qualité est le maître mot chex XXX.
    At XXX the operative word is quality.

7. Jean-Michel Carrère Senior Member

French from France
    le maître mot de notre société, c'est la qualité : we put quality first

8. Emma_Lee Senior Member

English U.S.A.
    Excellent translation J-M!

9. civsmurf Senior Member

France
    Bilingual: English (UK) - French (France)
    So in this case:

"Les deux maîtres mots de notre entreprise sont engagement et fidélité"

Diriez-vous (British English):

"The company's two catchwords are commitment and loyalty" ?

It sounds odd... Or is it just me?
    Any better suggestions?

10. Emma_Lee Senior Member

English U.S.A.
    I agree that it sounds odd...sometimes the term "catch/buzzword" has a negative connotation, i.e., a word that is used all the time, but lacks real meaning.

I would translate this as "Commitment and loyalty are key to our company". or something like that...

11. civsmurf Senior Member

France
    Bilingual: English (UK) - French (France)
    Ah, great idea, thanks Emma!

12. marianneBLANC Senior Member

France
    French - France
    Bonjour,

J'ai vu qu'il y avait déjà une discussion sur cette expression mais est-ce correct de traduire :

Charme et Authenticité sont les maîtres-mots pour cette belle maison de village.

par :

Charm and authenticity are key to describe this charming village house.

cela me semble un peu bizarre.

merci pour votre aide !

13. franc 91 Senior Member

France
    English - GB
    I'd put it differently:
    Charm and authenticity are exactly the right words to describe this beautiful house in the village of....

14. Newangle Senior Member

Normandy, France
    English, France
    Where Edwingill and others have gone for "catchword" I often use a term for "maître mot" that's only one character different: "watchword".

15. hampton.mc

hampton.mc Senior Member

France
    French
    I don't believe that "catchword" or "watchword" or "keyword" would fit my context.

Avant de rencontrer Ed, la paix et la tranquillité avaient été ses maîtres-mots.

Athough it was a unique experience, she did miss having alone time. Peace and Quiet were her best friends before she had met Ed.

Would best friends do for "maîtres-mots"? :(

16. mgarizona

mgarizona Senior Member

Phoenix, AZ
    US - American English
    That's quite a leap in metaphor. But if that's the direction you want to go in, I'd try "her constant companions."

17. planner2009 Senior Member

English
    nice...
    a peace and quiet had been her constant companions before she met Ed
    ?

18. planner2009 Senior Member

English
    or until she met Ed?

19. ousuisje Junior Member

French
    Key word (or keyword) should be translated in French as "mot clé".
    It as nothing to see with "maître mot".

In the art of classification or in computer science, a key word is "A word used as a reference point for finding other words or information."

Cette page du web, que vous lisez actuellement, contient des mots clé qui permettent aux moteurs de recherches de proposer cette page en réponse à votre recherche d'information sur, justement, "maître mot"). Voici la ligne de code HTML de cette présente page :

This web page, you are now reading, contains key words that allow search engines to offer this page in response to your search for information on precisely "maître mot"). Here is the line of HTML code in the header of this page:

<meta name="keywords" content=" le maître mot, languages, forum" />

Key word (or keyword) can bu "A word that serves as a key to a code or cipher."

Key word (or keyword) can be "A significant or descriptive word."

"Maître-mot" : en français, mot ou groupe de mots essentiel et emblématique (d'un discours, d'un texte, d'une pensée...)

"Master-word" : in French, word or phrase essential and emblematic (of a speech, of a text, of a thought ...)

20. hampton.mc

hampton.mc Senior Member

France
    French
    Thank you all very much for your suggestions and explanations :)

21. PaulTR Senior Member

Paris, France
    English - Canada
    "Buzzword" and "catchword" are indeed both negatively connoted and thus do not fit. "Master-word" doesn't exist and sounds bizarre.

Newangle is right, "Watchword" does often work. (See the Wordreference dictionary definition, which I quote at bottom.) Here it doesn't seem to work, as it refers to something programmatic and explicit, which doesn't fit. (But doesn't that apply to "maître-mot" as well?)

Also, "keyword" does have a narrow technical meaning, but also a broad and vague general meaning that in some contexts would surely work, contra ousuisje.

watchword/ˈwɒtʃwɜːd/
    ▶noun
    1 a word or phrase expressing a core aim or belief.

22. Kelimutu

Kelimutu Senior Member

Dieulefit, Drôme
    English GB
    I use 'byword' for maître mot............

23. idfx Junior Member

May I suggest that this might have to do with "the name of the game", in many - though not all - cases?

24. Santana2002 Senior Member

France
    English, from Ireland
    Alternative suggestion: "Peace and quiet had been her motto, until she met ..."

25. mgarizona

mgarizona Senior Member

Phoenix, AZ
    US - American English
    Not sure I understand PaulTR's objection above. "Watchwords" works perfectly well in this sentence, in the sense: "A word or phrase used as embodying the guiding principle or rule of action of a party or individual." (OED) Kelimutu's suggestion--- byword--- would not, as what is a byword is what is oft repeated, is semi-proverbial. In itself it has no sense of 'guiding principle' which is key here. (Perhaps some conflating of meaning with 'bylaw'???) Santana2002's 'motto' works: I can just hear someone saying, "Peace and quiet, that's my motto!" ... And a :thumbsup: too to idfx's "name of the game" ... nice one.

26. PaulTR Senior Member

Paris, France
    English - Canada
    I second the thumbs-up to idfx's suggestion. And mgarizona, I take your point. Maybe I objected to the idea of someone's having "peace and quiet" as an actual explicit program, for some unclear reason. :p

27. idfx Junior Member

Thank you both! In fact, it seems to work especially well the other way around - I am glad to have some equivalent to "the name of the game" in French at last (not that it pops up very often in my practice, but hey).
    Sometime I really feel glad to be living the internet era, where you can pick up a conversation months and even years after it seemed to have waned away...