le maglie della censura

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by entrapta, Mar 31, 2010.

1. entrapta

entrapta Senior Member

Bologna
    Italian
    le maglie della censura

What about this? It's a figure of speech literally censorship wraps around you like a net, I find it difficult to render. The sentence is: dopo un anno di ricerca, arriva a selezionare solo i momenti di ricreazione, quando si sospendono le attività quotidiane e le maglie della censura dei superiori si allentano... meaning that the author of the photos chose only the moments when the subject were photographed outside of their daily routine, when censorship was not as strong. The english sentence is as follows: after a one-year research, he ultimately selected only the recreational moments, when everyday activities cease and ?????????? of their superiors loosen

2. rrose17

rrose17 Senior Member

Montreal
    Canada, English
    Ciao I'd say
    After researching for a year / After a year's research, in the end he selected only moments of recreation, when everyday activities ceased and the censoring net of their superiors was loosened

3. entrapta

entrapta Senior Member

Bologna
    Italian
    ah censoring net.... good to know.

4. NewYorktoLA

NewYorktoLA Senior Member

New York
    English-the variety known as AE
    Entrapa,
    This is simply an educated guess....
    outside of the grip of censorship of ......loosens....
    "the grip of censorship" is a fairly common collocation.

In this context...who are the "superiors" ? Knowing this would help....

Also - recreational moments works literally, but if you mean activities outside of work - "during their down time" might work better.

5. entrapta

entrapta Senior Member

Bologna
    Italian
    I mean leisure time outside prayer and chores; as for superiors they are those occupying a higher position inside the seminary.

6. NewYorktoLA

NewYorktoLA Senior Member

New York
    English-the variety known as AE
    For time outside of their duties "down time" "off time" or "off-duty time"
    works.

And considering the context (seminary), I might say:
    "free from the watchful eye of their superiors" rather than using censorship.

7. entrapta

entrapta Senior Member

Bologna
    Italian
    Thanks a lot.

8. bise Senior Member

Italian
    What about "nelle maglie della quotidianità"?

My sentence: "Questa scelta estetica riposiziona la creazione artistica nelle maglie della quotidianità"
    My try: "This aesthetic choice reposition artistic creating in the grip of the everyday"

Does this make any sense? Any suggestions?
    Thank you so much in advance!

9. rrose17

rrose17 Senior Member

Montreal
    Canada, English
    Creating doesn't really work and not so sure about the word reposition here, but without further context you could say
    This aesthetic choice repositions artistic creation within the fabric of everyday life.
    Still not too happy with repositions artistic creation...
    A little looser perhaps?
    This aesthetic choice changes the place occupied by work of artistic creativity within the fabric of everyday life.

10. bise Senior Member

Italian
    Hi Rrose,
    Thank you so much for your reply and help!
    Yes, in fact I wanted to write "creation"... Sorry for mispelling!

"the fabric of everyday life" sounds brilliant! And you are right: probably "reposition" doesn't work...