le pouvoir exécutif/législatif

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Slagnfagn, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Slagnfagn Junior Member

I looking into the French government and am struggling to understand about "executive power" and "legislative power". Both seem to be similar but I'm sure their precise meanings have an important political difference.

If anyone could explain this to me or recommend where I could find such information, it would be much appreciated
  2. msfbecfin New Member

Southern California
    English - USA
    In general, the "legislative" branch passes laws (statutes, etc.) and the "executive" branch carries them out, or puts them into action, or "executes" them. The distinction is pretty clear in USA-American government, where we have the separation of the three governmental powers into three branches:an "executive branch", a "legislative branch" and a "judicial branch" of government, with . I'd expect it could be similar in French government.
  3. Football Taxis

Football Taxis Senior Member

Oxford, OH
    Midwestern American English
    France does have executive, legislative, and judicial powers--

in the executive, there's the president, the prime minister, and the Council of Ministers;

legislative consists of the Sénat and Assemblée Nationale;

and judicial, which has the Cour de Cassation, Conseil Constitutionelle, and the Conseil d'Etat.