le SUJET d'un examen

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by OlafPopkin, Mar 30, 2007.

1. OlafPopkin

OlafPopkin Senior Member

French, France
    Hello,
    I'm a teacher and I would like to translate 'Sujet' into English. In this sentence : 'Vous avez plusieurs sujets au choix'. In this context : Each student will have to choose one 'Sujet' (problem, exercice) and deal with it during the practical session.
    Would 'Subject' fit ?
    Thanks

2. frenchfanatic Junior Member

England
    England, English
    Bonjour

No "subject" is used to mean "matière" (eg français, anglais etc) if it's just a problem/exercise we would say "problem" or "exercise" or maybe "activity".

Hope this helps! :)

3. joleen

joleen Senior Member

England
    french / france
    I'd say "topic" but it might be different according to the module: science etc...

4. Jean-Michel Carrère Senior Member

French from France
    "You will have a choice of essay questions" may apply.

We need further context in order to help you more (which subject are we talking about ? What type of "sujet" are we talking about ?)

5. OlafPopkin

OlafPopkin Senior Member

French, France
    It's during practical sessions in Artificial Intelligence.
    There are several 'exercices'. (with Neural networks, ESS, Lisp, Prolog...) They have to choose one that becomes their assignment. They will work on it and then write a report to get a mark.
    In french, we could say, 'problème' 'exercice', mais le mot le plus utilisé est vraiment 'sujet'.
    I guess that 'exercise' is not so bad...

6. joleen

joleen Senior Member

England
    french / france
    I would say "topic" if it's about studying something and writing reports about it.

7. frenchfanatic Junior Member

England
    England, English
    Maybe you could say "assignment topics" specifically for this example as it seems to be more than just an exercise.

I think "sujet" and "subject" are false friends; I would certainly never use "subject" in this context!

8. OlafPopkin

OlafPopkin Senior Member

French, France
    It seems to me that 'topic' sounds more like 'thème' in French doesn't it ?

9. OlafPopkin

OlafPopkin Senior Member

French, France
    OK, I take "assignment topics" (I like it) !
    Thanks to all of you !

10. frenchfanatic Junior Member

England
    England, English
    Possibly, although "theme" in English would not be the correct word for this context.
    In my dictionary it suggests that "thème" and "sujet" are the same thing in French - would you agree? If so "topic" would probably still fit best for your sentence. :)

11. OlafPopkin

OlafPopkin Senior Member

French, France
    Yes 'thème' and 'sujet' are the same thing when you are talking about :
    Le thème d'une discussion = le sujet d'une discussion (or for a book, painting...).
    But there is another 'sujet' in French that has something to do with exams.
    For example in the French Level A Degree you have to pass an examination of French. During this national exam you have to choose one 'sujet' among 'Contraction de texte', 'dissertation' and (another one that I've forgotten). When students talk together they will say : 'Quel sujet tu as pris toi ?' or 'Le sujet de dissertation était très difficile' and so on...
    Hope it will help (and sorry to bother so much)

12. frenchfanatic Junior Member

England
    England, English
    It is no bother! It's interesting to find something so difficult to translate!
    You could use "option"
    This appears to be like "sujet" in that it has two meanings. You can have "an option" (e.g. tea/coffee) but also the "options" for exams -you can chose your subject (eg maths/english etc) however maybe this could be applied to your context. (In English people would say "what options have you chosen?")
    You could possibly use "project" or maybe combine the two and say "project option(s)"
    "Project would be used particularly in the case of a research project or something which ends up with a presentation (written/spoken) at the end!
    Is that of any help? :)

13. OlafPopkin

OlafPopkin Senior Member

French, France
    Yes it is !
    Thanks again