learning community

Discussion in 'Dictionary Additions' started by ewie, Apr 19, 2010.

1. ewie

ewie Senior Member

This septic isle!
    NW Englandish English
    Term: (A word or expression you have seen in writing)
    learning community

Your definition or explanation:
    'school' or 'group of schools'

Example: (An example of the term in use)

Hamer Primary School and Springside School merged to form a newly joined school, Springside with Hamer Learning Community.

One or more places you have seen the term: (Please give URLs/links to web pages, or a full description of a print publication.)
    http://www.hamer.rochdale.sch.uk/Enter Sites Page2.htm

Have you looked for this term or meaning in dictionaries, and not found it? Yes _:tick:__ No ___

Okay folks, I admit it ~ this one's a bit of a cheat in that 'Springside with Hamer Learning Community' seems to be the only school on earth to use the term and so all the references are to that one particular school.

I just happened to drive past it yesterday and notice the name ... and found it so toe-curlingly twee that I wanted to share the experience:D
  2. Jim2996 Senior Member

Boston, MA
    American English
    In the US a Professional Learning Community, or PLA, is the latest fad in education circles. Or, maybe the start of needed reforms. In any case the phrase is in wide use within education, a somewhat isolated circle.

I won't give any citations because, if you think that it should be in the dictionary, Google will overwhelm you. Amazon (US) gives 2000 hits.

I also won't attempt a definition because it will come out like Johnson's definition of "Oats": A grain, which in England is generally given to horses, but in Scotland supports the people.

My opinion is that it doesn't belong in a dictionary. It's basic meaning is just a community that is learning and has teachers who want to be considered professionals. If you include this, then there are lots of other fancy-sounding names for educational ideas that have come and (mostly) gone. You could start a dictionary of them.

Mostly, I just stumbled up this thread and thought you should know.