1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

learning (el aprender. Uso de artículo con infinitivo)

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by julie1g, Jan 5, 2013.

1. julie1g Senior Member

Estoy traduciendo un comentario del informe de progreso de un alumno del 4o grado. ¿Necesito poner el enfrente de aprender?

El aprendervocabulario nuevoes una meta para Randy yestá lográndola todos los días.

Learningnew vocabulary is a goal for Randy and he is doing so every day.

Gracias,
    Julie

2. Lurrezko

Lurrezko Senior Member

Junto al mar
    Spanish (Spain) / Catalan
    No, no es necesario.

Un saludo

3. blasita

blasita Senior Member

Spanish - Spain (Madrid)
    Hola:

Coincido; no, no lo es. Yo diría normalmente: Aprender nuevo vocabulario/nuevas palabras (prefiero este orden de adjetivo-sustantivo en este caso) ...

Saludos.

4. RicardoElAbogado Senior Member

SF Bay Area, California
    American English
    lográndola

Shouldn't that have "lo" instead of "la" at the end?

5. blasita

blasita Senior Member

Spanish - Spain (Madrid)
    Lográndola is fine if it refers to meta (feminine). Lográndolo (=aprender nuevas palabras) is also fine and I'd actually prefer this one in this sentence.

6. Milton Sand

Milton Sand Modómano, 'mano

Bucaramanga, Colombia
    Español (Colombia)
    Hi,
    If you insist on keeping your version, putting the "la" before the verbal group might be easier to read: "y la está logrando cada día."

However, I would go with something a bit more literal: "y eso hace a diario." The verb "lograr" implies there's no need to keep on doing it, even more if related to the word "meta" which looks seems to refer to a final objective; so I suggest to use "objetivo" instead.

I agree you don't need the article before the infinitve here, although it sounds very nice to me.

Regards,
    ;)

7. RicardoElAbogado Senior Member

SF Bay Area, California
    American English
    To me, the "so" in "he is doing so" implies in English "he is learning new vocabulary" and that is why I asked about using "lo" instead of "la."

8. Milton Sand

Milton Sand Modómano, 'mano

Bucaramanga, Colombia
    Español (Colombia)
    I (Milton), then, would say: "El aprender nuevo vocabulario es un objetivo de Randy; y lo viene logrando a diario."

"Nuevo" before "vocabulario" to mean it's additional, not recent.

What about "aumentar su vocabulario"?

Saludos,
    ;)

9. RicardoElAbogado Senior Member

SF Bay Area, California
    American English
    A good choice in many situations. For an adult, I think that we would more commonly say in English, "Expanding [or broadening or extending or even strengthening] his vocabulary is a goal ..." But for fourth graders, I would probably say "learning new words."

To be technically correct, I wouldn't say "Learning new vocabulary ..." in English. A vocabulary is a set of words within a language that are familiar to a person, and learning "new vocabulary" implies that the student is learning a vocabulary for yet another language. But if we add the word "words" to the sentence, then it would be correct: "Learning new vocabulary words is a goal ...."

10. julie1g Senior Member

!Gracias por tu ayuda!

Julie